FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession Gain/Potentiometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shirivasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirivasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession Gain/Potentiometer
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 3:50am
I am interested in this design for several reasons, but wanted to ask about the gain, and specifically what position of the potentiometer (if it were imagined as a clock face) would you be neutral or at full gain—neither attenuated or amplified? Put another way, would you be able to set the gain to 40 or 41dB at 1kHz rather than 41.5dB at 1kHz? Or, is 41.5db at 1kHz the lowest possible gain?

Also, it the potentiometer a step design or infinite? (Just curious)
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:31am
From what I understood, the potentiometer only works as an attenuator. So full gain (41.5 dB) is achieved at the maximum clockwise position of the knob.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:24pm
The pot is an attenuator following on from the fixed output.

It is followed by a discrete unity gain buffer which drives the variable output.

At maximum pot setting, the output is the same as the fixed output.

The pot is an Alps 16mm carbon audio taper track, offering the least trouble, as these have been in use by us for 20 years or thereabouts, and have proved reliable.

A switched attenuator, on the other hand, relies on numerous switch contacts and several individually soldered joints, each possessing the equivalent of a thermocouple junction, like all transitions between metal types exhibit.

In audio, it is suggested that circuitry paths are kept as short as possible, but the reasons behind it seem to be long-forgotten. I shall not run through them here, but circuit complication is just as bad as unnecessarily long circuit paths.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
shirivasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirivasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The pot is an attenuator following on from the fixed output.

It is followed by a discrete unity gain buffer which drives the variable output.

At maximum pot setting, the output is the same as the fixed output.

The pot is an Alps 16mm carbon audio taper track, offering the least trouble, as these have been in use by us for 20 years or thereabouts, and have proved reliable.

A switched attenuator, on the other hand, relies on numerous switch contacts and several individually soldered joints, each possessing the equivalent of a thermocouple junction, like all transitions between metal types exhibit.

In audio, it is suggested that circuitry paths are kept as short as possible, but the reasons behind it seem to be long-forgotten. I shall not run through them here, but circuit complication is just as bad as unnecessarily long circuit paths.

Thank you! I've leaned that many amp designers set up their attenuators so you get unity at 12:00 or so because it is aesthetically where users have come to expect full volume. 

You're approach is exactly what I would have hoped for and expected. It has the added bonus of allowing attenuation to match so many cartridges that now have a pretty robust output—often more than is needed. That means that if I chose a different cartridge in the future I would be confident of being able to get a gain match. Gain matching has been one of those factors I've become increasingly aware of over the years. I often listen to Jazz recordings where a piano or horn player will come in a little hotter than the recording engineer anticipated. It's these moments where I hear gain issues, and why I've come to think that getting the gain spot on brings the perfect balance of life and energy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic