New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:43am
I would say they are “medium” impedance. Some headphones are around 600 ohm.
I had a Reflex M with a Solo UL and it sounded really good with my Sennheiser HD650.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:03am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I would say they are “medium” impedance. Some headphones are around 600 ohm.
I had a Reflex M with a Solo UL and it sounded really good with my Sennheiser HD650.

Thanks, I see there are a few open and semi-open back headphones with 600 Ohms, but I can't find anything like that with closed back.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:14am
The headphones you mention may be fine. The HD650 are 300 ohm.
I also run HiFiMan Sundara with are around 27 ohm. They also work well with the Solo UL.

Can you get a loan of the headphones?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:57am
I don't know anyone with the headphones to try, I was just looking at various reviews on line and see that they come in various impedence.

I think the way to go is trial a GSP amp and see how it does with the phones I have, especially if your HiFi Man low impedance work.

Thanks again.

Edited by DT999 - 30 Mar 2020 at 10:54am
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:38pm
I have a Reflex M and have tried headphones with it, simply using the cheapo built in headphone jack that is a feature on my integrated amp. No harshness that I could detect using several different cartridges. Now, I'm no expert on headphones, or headphone amps, but I would wager the problem is with the headphones or your amplification source, and has nothing at all to do with the Reflex M. 

One thing to keep in mind is that most headphones are not flat. Some have some unpleasant peaks in the frequency response. This is the reason I use EQ when using headphones to listen to digital audio files at my desk. The EQ is built into my software player and I have other EQ programs as well to experiment with. 

If I were a headphone nut, I'd probably trial one of the GS amps and try to get a pair of headphones that are reputed to match well with them. I'd probably avoid headphones that have a lot of extreme nasty peaks in the audible band. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:39am
I agree that it is not the Reflex-M causing the problem, but it is showing up the problem, as you say with either the headphones or amp.

I don't know much about headphones as I only use them as I have to to not disturb the household, I much prefer my speakers.
Having said that my speakers cost considerably more than the headphones so maybe to be expected.

I do have 2 pairs of headphones, one is planar magnetic and one dynamic and I chose both based on multiple positive reviews in numerous forums so hope they are reasonable - but I accept there will be better and they will have limitations.

My headphone amp was chosen to match my amp and for synergy but that may be the problem as alluded to by Graham in his earlier post, that the synergy is not right between the Reflex and my current headphone amp; my original phono stage was also from the same manufacturer as the amp and headphone amp.

The Reflex-M still is a VAST improvement over my other phono stage when listening through speakers, which tends to show the main amp is not the issue, but it is the headphone amp.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:24am
I would substitute the headphone amp with a Solo. Would probably solve the problem. The Rega electronics is probably adding distortion. I once used the AKG K550. It was okay but nothing outstanding. Quite flat and undynamic if I recall correctly. Sennheiser HD540II or HD560II are a good place to start if you want to hear an involving flat frequency response. Or possibly try that K240 Studio praised in another topic, which may be better value for money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic