New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 7:14am
The headphones you mention may be fine. The HD650 are 300 ohm.
I also run HiFiMan Sundara with are around 27 ohm. They also work well with the Solo UL.

Can you get a loan of the headphones?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:03am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I would say they are “medium” impedance. Some headphones are around 600 ohm.
I had a Reflex M with a Solo UL and it sounded really good with my Sennheiser HD650.

Thanks, I see there are a few open and semi-open back headphones with 600 Ohms, but I can't find anything like that with closed back.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:43am
I would say they are “medium” impedance. Some headphones are around 600 ohm.
I had a Reflex M with a Solo UL and it sounded really good with my Sennheiser HD650.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:19am
Out of interest, and in reference to Graham's comment above about higher impedance headphones potentially not exhibiting the same harshness as low impedance, can anyone tell me what is considered high impedance?

For example, would it be something like BEYERDYNAMIC DT770 PRO 250 OHM 
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 3:03am
Thanks again Graham

I will probably try the Solo ULDE on the loaner program to see how it goes, but may well wait until you develop your next one as well. (that will give me time to get an Accession in the mean time Big smile)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:42am
Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

Do you think this would be addressed with a different headphone amp? Specifically I presume you have designed your headphone amps to match and complement the design of your phono stages.

Yes, but I would try and wait until I develop the next one. There is also the issue of whether I should try and "smooth the corners" or let it tell the truth. The latter is far easier and I have to take my hat off to those who have the ability to "smooth the corners". They never seem to publish the way it's done!

If you are unable to wait, I suggest you try the Solo ULDE via the loaner program.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:29am
Then again, it might be none of the above, just that the Reflex M is (if you don't mind me blowing my own trumpet) a bloody superior design, showing the limitations of any vinyl front end.

I also do not buy into the whole Ortofon 2M thing. I'm sorry, but it's an OM with a fairing. It doesn't need it because it doesn't require streamlining because it doesn't travel anywhere. It is neither a stealth bomber. I have the bronze and the black and sufficient turntable stock, to have found that they are both coloured, with the black stylus being the better of the two (and rightly so given the price).

Also, didn't want to say anything yet, but developing a further headphone amplifier which exposes even more (and tackles the technical issues in my previous post), and I have to accept the limitations of what a micro vibrating fishing rod can do. I had never heard the groove contact aberrations and surface noise details of Bob's YT channel recordings to such a degree until now, and those are incredibly good cartridges he uses, but it just goes to show how good Youtube and its type of digitization can be.

To wrap up my contribution to this topic, it must be said that you will always find niggling things like this when mixing and matching amplifier circuits designed by different people. Nobody knows everything (no not even I), and to quote one much more extremely experienced industry designer: "Although solid-state amplifiers have been around for some 40 years, it would be a great mistake to assume that everything possible is known about them." (Doug Self).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic