FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Choice of Sumiko or Ortofon head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Vincenzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vincenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choice of Sumiko or Ortofon head
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:07pm
Ciao, sto acquistando una nuova cartuccia per il mio P******t 2 SB Xperience e stavo valutando il Sumiko Blue point special lll evo, o Ortofon 2M Black. Come pre-phono ho un Graham Slee Reflex M. Grazie.
Amp. Musical Fidelity M6si,Turntables VPI Scout Signature, Cartridges Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Graham Slee Accession MC, Speakers Triangle Esprit Antal Ez, Cables VAN DEN HUL D-502 Hybrid,ATLAS Equator
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:56pm
Which roughly translates to:

Hi, I am purchasing a new cartridge for my P ****** t 2 SB Xperience and I was evaluating the Sumiko Blue point special lll evo, or Ortofon 2M Black. As a pre-phono I have a Graham Slee Reflex M. Thanks.

Personally, I think I would go with the 2M Bronze over the 2M Black, due to the fact I didn’t like the 2M Black I had. Never heard the Sumiko or the 2M Bronze though.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:00pm
hi Vincenzo,
   I used a 2M Black and 2M Bronze with great satisfaction with my Reflex M. The Black had more detail, which I enjoyed, and the Bronze was a little less engaging for me. I haven’t heard the Sumiko. 
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:39am
Hi Vincenzo,
I owned the earlier Sumiko Blue Point Special a few years ago & let's just say that it defied
the myth of vinyl 'warmth' - it was 'bright & lively'. 
The latest Evo3 should be worth a listen though.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Vincenzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vincenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:08am
The Graham Reflex M has a fixed capacitance of 220 pF. It should work well with the Ortofon 2M. With the Sumiko it is a bit high.
Sumiko recommends a phono pre-amp with a maximum of 200 pF, so the Graham is a little bit over that. This may give the Sumiko a little lift in the treble.
Amp. Musical Fidelity M6si,Turntables VPI Scout Signature, Cartridges Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Graham Slee Accession MC, Speakers Triangle Esprit Antal Ez, Cables VAN DEN HUL D-502 Hybrid,ATLAS Equator
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:31am
Depends on how old it is. Very early Reflex M's might have been 220pF, but since 2013 they are 100pF. See spec below.

Reflex M phono stage specification

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
harryt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harryt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:05pm
I have the Sumiko EVO 3 and am using it with the Reflex M. I have not tried the Ortofon. I do not find the sound to be overly bright considering that I am using the ProAc Response 1SC speakers which some people also call bright. With that said, the combination is very revealing and I do have some albums, especially some rock ones from the 70s, that have moments that I might consider overly bright. That just might be the way they were mastered. My classical and jazz albums are just fine and sound great. I have the Sumiko slightly tail down because I do not have ability to adjust the the tonearm height.
I hope this helps.
Stay safe,
Harry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic