FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge recommendation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Yes, I got the isolator with it thanks. It is a tad large, and I am not 100% sure I need it with my Funk F.X arm tube if I am honest. I have dressed the wires carefully, making sure they are not pulling.
I have the arm set slightly tail down, as this seemed to be the best sounding position to my ears.

It is a nice cartridge and I am really not sure it is worth me getting an ART-9 now. It will sound different, sure, but will it be much better?

Edited by CageyH - 19 Mar 2020 at 11:29am
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:00pm
The Classic is a very nice cart. I had mine upgraded to the MusicMaster by Mr. Gregory a couple of years ago & this is an upgrade path worth considering in the future.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm
I have already contacted him to see what options I have, and what the approximate costs are, but I am not sure the enquiry form on his website worked properly. I will give it a few days before I try again, as I am in no rush.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 3:53pm
The upgrade is £1,150.
Is it really worth it? What I mean is does it give a substantial improvement in performance.
Kevin
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Good question.
It is better than the Classic - better tracking, more detail & stronger imaging etc,
but value is highly subjective with these things.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
Thanks for the response.
To put this into perspective, I bought the Classic for £300.

For £1k, I could get myself something like an IQ3, and have replaceable styli.
I could also get an ART-9.
I could also do nothing....

The biggest issue is that it is nearly impossible to hear these things before you buy them.
Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Good question.
It is better than the Classic - better tracking, more detail & stronger imaging etc,
but value is highly subjective with these things.

Out of interest Rich, what cartridges have you compared the MusicMaster to?
I am contemplating the upgrade at the end of April, if I do it.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic