FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

MM cartridge recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I have no idea personally. I seem to remember a thread on here where a member (paitientot?) made a comparison between a 1042 and the 95, but I may be completely wrong.

Yes, I owned both carts at the same time and eventually got rid of the 1042. I can't speak to the AN models that are based on the Goldring 1000 series because I haven't heard them, and AFAIK, they are a bit different in some respects (different cantilevers and diamonds at least). 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:37am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Thank you all so far. I remember that Andrew (Drewan) is also a fan of the AN IQs. I contacted Deco Audio for up to date prices today:
Indeed. The IQ3 remains my preferred cartridge & I use it most often with a 1042 stylus which is a great combination & much lower cost to replace, considering that I play vinyl a lot. (the AN3 stylus only has about 120 hours on it so far, after 4 years of use).

An 1Q1 or IQ2 with a 1042 would be my recommendation, considering you already have the stylus Ifor.

(I am also very happy with the AT 40ML stylus on my AT150ANV, so a VM540ML would be a nice sounding lower cost option)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:25pm
Thanks Andrew.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

An 1Q1 or IQ2 with a 1042 would be my recommendation, considering you already have the stylus Ifor.
It’s my understanding that the IQ cartridge is common for the 1, 2, and 3 and that it is only the stylus assemblies that are different. Have I got this right?

Edited by ICL1P - 07 Mar 2020 at 9:36am
Ifor
=====
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm
That is my understanding.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

That is my understanding.
👍
Ifor
=====
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm
The IQ3 has a the cantilever from the LO1 apparently.

I am just debating if it is worth getting an AT ART-9, or if I stick to a top end MM, or get something like a Music Maker?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic