FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which Gram Amp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
naish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Gram Amp?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:31pm
Hi, I am new here and have my first question.

I have a Dual 704 fully Original in mint condtion with Shure V15 typ III element.

What pre amo from Graham Slee suits best? I am doubting between the communicator and the SE.
With the PSU1 ofcourse.

Thanks!

Edited by naish - 10 Feb 2020 at 5:39pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:24pm
If what you're driving with the phono preamp - e.g. an integrated amplifier - has a line or aux input sensitivity of 250mV or better (smaller figure), then either will work. The Communicator load capacitance might suit the Shure V15 III better.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
naish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
Thanks for your anwser.

I have a Hegel H80 amplifier..

So, the communicator is a good choice for my Shure!? If the sound is finally right than I upgrade the needle or buy a fancier turntable.
Until now I didn't gave analog a real chance with a good pre amp.

Edited by naish - 10 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:55pm
I agree with the Communicator for the Shure V15 carts. Those need a little more capacitance than some newer cartridges. You can keep the Shure cart and upgrade the stylus on it when the time comes. Jico and others have upgrade styli for Shure cartridges.

I've never used or handled that particular Dual, but it looks nice. I might be inclined to tune it up a little rather than replace it with something new, depending on your budget for component upgrades. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:04am
Originally posted by naish naish wrote:

I have a Hegel H80 amplifier..

The line/aux input sensitivities should be in the manual/handbook.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
naish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:18am
The sensitivity is 935 mV on the analogue inputs on H80.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by naish naish wrote:

The sensitivity is 935 mV on the analogue inputs on H80.

That is really insensitive.

You'll need the SE to get close.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic