FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Adc shootout. Your thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adc shootout. Your thoughts?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:08am
Morning all,
Not sure if this has been posted before, but i was wondering what peoples thoughts were

Im still without stereo (and now without use of left hand for a few months....) to listen to the sound samples myself but i was curious what everyone thinks of the different transfers.

From the voting 4 out of 10 cant tell difference between the lowest cost and most expensive adc tested whilst rest of the vote is split pretty equally across all the devices tested.

I wasnt going to bother with any adc in my system and just use youtube rips whenever i want to listen to a song on the move but ive seen a number of personal favs disappear from there over time so its forced me to think about upping my digital game with my own transfers.

Craig
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 10:42am
If and when Mr Fremer manages to get decent file samples then it might be an interesting experiment.
I listened to the first one for a couple of seconds, heard the hum, and abandoned the "test".

The "test" is a waste of time! LOL

Moving on, I use a Tascam DR07 Mkii - that way the computer is out of the equation for the recording process, as are USB connections with possible ground plane noise transmission, and software flip outs.

As with all digital recording, too hot a signal causes input overload clipping, which needs to be avoided, so having a phono stage with a variable level output, such as the GSP Accession makes things very easy indeed.

Transfer the captured file to the computer for editing Smile

Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:25am
yes i went for accession - seemed ideal for how i want to set things up and the options it provides are extremely well thought out. Buy once and be done with it

Looks like Mr Fremer agrees with you on file 1 Chris.

I found rest of article where he reveals which unit is which in the test and looks like he holds his hand up for operator error for file 1

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 11:44am
I've now listened to each of the files for a couple of seconds each, and they all have electrical noise issues.
Every single one of them!

Laughable, isn't it? Shocked

Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
"One more note: there is a very low level of 60Hz hum, not really audible other than on headphones. This is a trade-off I accept because of the open sound of the cable compared to better shielded cables that are not as open."

Yes you are quite right Chris. Perhaps not the best thought out test!

"Open" sounding unshielded cables that hum doesnt sound a very good idea....

Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:06pm
would that hum be fixed by better cabling and something like this?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 6:47pm
Maybe.
It's not 60Hz noise, so it might possibly be ground plane borne.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic