FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex M and Accession M in da House

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex M and Accession M in da House
    Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 4:35pm
A close friend and fellow audiophile club member recently upgraded his phono stage to a Pass X-17.  He gave to me last week the two subject phono stages as loaners.  The Reflex he's willing to sell to me but not the Accession.  He still uses that to "record".

So the Reflex is in the system four days end of day today.  Couldn't wait, turned it on after the first 4 hours (i know Shocked).  Was immediately taken back by the dead silent background and the clarity of the music.  Unfortunately, the music was very sterile and not very listenable.

Listened to a few LPs and then turned off the TT and waited to hour 51 to resume listening.  Wow. Wow. WOW.  Linda Ronstadt live in my listening room.  Way, way better than my (very old) Bryston phone stage.  Marvelous.

Going to use the Reflex for a few weeks and then substitute the Accession.  Cant wait.  Right now I'm thinking I'll be ordering (from Graham) a black Accession after the first of the year. Since everything else in my system is fully balanced the Bel Canto ePhono might still be in the running.  We'll see (hear). Wink

Russ

Edited by RussL - 19 Dec 2019 at 4:37pm
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 9:54pm
Hi Russ,
   Glad you’re enjoying the Reflex. The Accession is a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade over the Reflex. It’s probably the best value for money phono stage I can think of. It might be worth powering it up now so that when you’re ready to listen you don’t need to wait 50 hours!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 5:10pm
Hi Mick - took the Reflex out of the system and installed the Accession over two days ago.  I will be listening to it tonight, for the first time, so greater than 72 hours.  Can't wait.

Will the difference beyond the Reflex by subtle or very noticeable?  And the Reflex was excellent!

Russ
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 2:28am
When I tried it in my system I felt it had more to offer in listening to the subtle phrasing of singers and instrumentalists. It had what I felt was a more buoyant presentation, but didn’t lack in bass. Music “moved” more. 
However, the biggest difference came when I removed the preamp and used the Accession volume control to drive my power amps. The extra focus in the soundstage was accompanied with more “saturated” tonal colors and even more life. The soundstage got bigger, and the things within the soundstage became more focused.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:10am
I also noticed a great reduction in surface noise from worn vinyls once I setup the Accession. I used to clean my vinyls like there was no tomorrow - now it is only if there is any dirt noticed or for onboarding new vinyls. The Accession MC was also able to work well with my low output MC cartridge - gained that much needed clarity and punch to match with my MM carts.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:52pm
Hey Shashi ! You are busy!
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
Hiya Bruce,

I have been archiving 6-10 vinyls each day for the past many months. Had to build an elaborate backup system for my hard drives. Each component in my setup is built like a work horse. In fact I almost consider Graham Slee products an essential utility - not just a fun toy with bling and mysterious aural features that makes me see psychedelic lights. In fact over the months, I consider the equipment as reference, any vinyl that does not sound good...has a problem in it...dust, warp or damage.

I am yet to head to the Proprius and the actual listening setup to sit back and listen on demand. I am guessing another couple of years are needed to complete my archival work.

Cheers
Shashi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic