FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Warped LPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warped LPs
    Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:40pm
Hi guys- jumped back into vinyl a month or so ago after a very long absence. I have about 1,000 LPs from way back so I've been doing a lot of cleaning and re-sleeving with modern inner sleeves.

I've also purchased several new LPs and I'm surprised at what I've come across. First new play was the newly remastered 180g Abby Road.  The LP has a slight warp, not too bad but wondered to myself if I should return it to the vendor for a "flat" copy.

Second play was Dusty in Memphis, 200g, 45 RPM, 2 LPs.  Both discs warped slightly worse than the Abby Road warp but also not too bad (but $55 USD). Third play was Chick Corea's The Spanish Heart Band, 180g, 2LPs.  NO warps either disc.

So do we live with these minor warps? Return for flat copies?  Apparently (Spanish Heart) LPs can be produced without warping.  What to do?  Thanks.

Russ

Edited by RussL - 27 Nov 2019 at 11:41pm
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:50pm
I'd send 'em back.
I've never had a warped record that never got worse.
They're premium price items - they should be flat.
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:52am
Called Acoutics Sounds and they're sending out a replacement album.  "We stand by what we press".  A pleasure to deal with. Smile

Russ
Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:58am
That's a result Smile

My record buying policy is to buy them online, from Amazon.
They get returned and replaced or refunded FOC.
I have bought new from record stores and opened them on the counter, and handed 'em back when I see they're warped or dished.
I don't buy that many records these days, so I don't buy all that much from Amazon directly.

The last vinyl record I bought was direct from the artist at a gig, and it was signed.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:54pm
They have repressed the Police album box set so ordered it from Amazon. The original batch was faulty. There was a repeating skip on the first side of Outlandos d'Amour. Sent two copies back. Hopefully this will be better...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

They have repressed the Police album box set so ordered it from Amazon. The original batch was faulty. There was a repeating skip on the first side of Outlandos d'Amour. Sent two copies back. Hopefully this will be better...

Fingers crossed .... Smile

Have you had a real close look at the point where it skips?
Sometimes there's a lump of crud in the groove that can be persuaded to move.

Amazon will get to the point of just refunding you and calling it quits.
They'll only accept so many returns of a specific item, and they will stop supplying you with replacements.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Fingers crossed .... Smile

Have you had a real close look at the point where it skips?
Sometimes there's a lump of crud in the groove that can be persuaded to move.

Amazon will get to the point of just refunding you and calling it quits.
They'll only accept so many returns of a specific item, and they will stop supplying you with replacements.

It looked like a bit of vinyl that had embedded itself in the groove during the cutting. I did try and clean it but was reluctant to push it too far. Amazon's return system is the only reason I bought it from there although it's nigh on impossible to discuss the fault in detail.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic