FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dclark2171 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dclark2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member Here
    Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 4:31pm
I am now diving back into vinyl after 30 years away. Back in the 90's I sold my over 3000 LP collection in favor of CDs (what a mistake). Although I have all my thousands of CD's, sacd's ripped and have purchased hundreds of Hi Rez/DSD downloads, I'm diving back into collecting audiophile grade and mint/nm recordings. 

I have a Technics 1210GR coming along with a MOFI Studio Phono to start. I have the AT vm540ML cartridge and a basic AT 78rpm mono cartridge. I'm thinking in the near future the Revelation M would be ideal phono pre to deal with non RIAA recordings (pre 50's 78's, etc). The studio phono holds it's value pretty well on the used market...so i'm not to worried about unloading when I get the funds to upgrade. 

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone actually compared the Studio Phono with the revelation

2. Is the Revelation M a great RIAA phono pre as well? Most of my collection, so far, has been modern age records. 

Again...thanks ahead of time for your answers
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by dclark2171 dclark2171 wrote:

I am now diving back into vinyl after 30 years away. Back in the 90's I sold my over 3000 LP collection in favor of CDs (what a mistake). Although I have all my thousands of CD's, sacd's ripped and have purchased hundreds of Hi Rez/DSD downloads, I'm diving back into collecting audiophile grade and mint/nm recordings. 

I have a Technics 1210GR coming along with a MOFI Studio Phono to start. I have the AT vm540ML cartridge and a basic AT 78rpm mono cartridge. I'm thinking in the near future the Revelation M would be ideal phono pre to deal with non RIAA recordings (pre 50's 78's, etc). The studio phono holds it's value pretty well on the used market...so i'm not to worried about unloading when I get the funds to upgrade. 

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone actually compared the Studio Phono with the revelation

2. Is the Revelation M a great RIAA phono pre as well? Most of my collection, so far, has been modern age records. 

Again...thanks ahead of time for your answers

My understanding is that the Revelation is essentially a Reflex M with the additional circuitry and switches necessary for playing your archival records (please correct me if I'm wrong). Since I do not have any of these types of archival records, I never tried to hear a Revelation (or Jazz Club, the other archival GS phono). 

Now, I did have a Mofi SP, and although there were things I liked about it, there were some things I didn't like and comparing the Reflex M + PSU-1 in my system to the SP, the Reflex M won out. In the end I sold my SP and continue to use the Reflex. 

The best way to hear for yourself is to try the loaner program. That way you can try the Revelation in your system, with your equipment and records. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dclark2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:06pm
Thanks. My new Technics 1200GR will arrive this week. Once I get set up, I may try to get on the loaner list for a Revelation. The key for me is having top notch RIAA (most f my recordings) and the ability to switch to flat or other eq suited for pre 1950 78's/Lp's. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 6:57pm

Thanks. My new Technics 1200GR will arrive this week. Once I get set up, I may try to get on the loaner list for a Revelation. The key for me is having top notch RIAA (most f my recordings) and the ability to switch to flat or other eq suited for pre 1950 78's/Lp's. 

Enjoy! The Revelation definitely sounds like the ticket for you then if you need those archival EQ options. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclark2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:21pm
if I just go ahead and order one, what’s the general turn around time? Also, is everyone happy with the RIAA performance?
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 3:25pm

if I just go ahead and order one, what’s the general turn around time? Also, is everyone happy with the RIAA performance?

I think normal turnaround time is about 2 weeks. I would expect an increase in turnaround given that it's around the holidays. Maybe contact customer service for an estimate. 

Re: RIAA performance I think you'll find most people here are very happy. If you have any doubts I would consider doing the loan program first. 
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:58pm
There can't be many other hifi manufacturers that let you test their products in your own home virtually free of charge. That's why Graham's products stand up to scrutiny.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic