FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Discovering new music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

CD libraries & listening booths are a bit 20th century - like most of my music collection.Smile

Here's an interesting question - what's your favourite decade for music, and how (if at all) does that correlate to your age?  I tend to have a preference for early 70s but at the time I would have been a very wee nipper so is it unconscious bias or simply that there was a lot of good music around at that time?
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 6:57pm
I discover new and "new to me" music a number of ways:

-Recommendations from people whose taste I respect or is similar to mine
-Rateyourmusic.com
-Discogs.com
-Streaming platforms - e.g. Amazon or Tidal
-Bandcamp.com
-Online catalog descriptions
-YouTube

Probably easier than ever to find more music to listen to. I still occasionally buy albums blind based on a strong recommendation. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 11:34am
A few I have come across and/or used,
Ektoplazm
Bandcamp
Songlines
Tony G
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
It may depend on what type of music you are into but I have a few ways:

Recommendations on here when I am after specific genres.
Adverts, TV and soundtracks (I find some interesting stuff that way).
Modern Now That's What I Call Music albums for my guilty pleasure pop fix.
Spotify when I want to listen to specific artist's discography or albums before buying (I get it free with my phone contract).
When I am trying to expand my knowledge of specific artists, I will buy a greatest hits compilation and if I like it, move on to their discography. So far that has led me to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Smith, etc., and generally after recommendations on here.

You also asked about favourite decades I believe? I am an '80s baby so enjoy then due to the memories but mainly grew up on my parents' favourite music so will always love the rock'n'roll '50s-'60s.

If I had to pick a specific year, '98 was without doubt my most meaningful. While I discovered the likes of Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, Propellerheads and Big Beat in general, finding that I already knew obscure songs they used as samples in even better "compositions" was really educational from a creativity point of view. That genre also led me to discover subwoofers and so started my Hi-Fi journey.

My tastes are eclectic however so if I like something, I like it. That is probably why the music I was listening to just went from Jimmy Smith to Muse to Norah Jones to James Brown to Mongo Santamaria to Pink Floyd to Sam Cooke to Shostakovich... Try doing that with vinyl! LOL
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

Here's an interesting question - what's your favourite decade for music, and how (if at all) does that correlate to your age?  I tend to have a preference for early 70s but at the time I would have been a very wee nipper so is it unconscious bias or simply that there was a lot of good music around at that time?
The music that was a part of one's life as a youth often tends to stay with you for life.
In my case this includes a lot of classical music as this was played by my parents a great deal.
Also later on Genesis (70's), Rush, Sabbath to name just a few - these bands music still hits home.
Maybe nostalgia plays a big part though...

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 11:08am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

The music that was a part of one's life as a youth often tends to stay with you for life.
In my case this includes a lot of classical music as this was played by my parents a great deal.
Also later on Genesis (70's), Rush, Sabbath to name just a few - these bands music still hits home.
Maybe nostalgia plays a big part though...

My best friend from school was heavily influenced by his elder brother hence can rarely see past Yes and Jethro Tull :-)
Solo ULDE; Reflex M; Accession MC+Enigma and other tomfoolery...
paul_barnett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paul_barnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:40pm
Generally, I hear new music on BBC R3 or Radio Paradise. and for new live music, I go here: http://www.st-marys-perivale.org.uk/events-001.shtml

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic