FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Lautus Interconnects Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lautus Interconnects Questions
    Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:46pm
(I detailed this in the New Member area but realized this would be a better place for it):

I should list what I currently do have before asking some questions about interconnects.  I do have a pair of Lautus cables for one of the below connections on loan (I also have the Accession M on loan).

Gem Dandy Polytable w/ Jelco TK-850S tonearm and Hana SH (HOMC 2.0mv) cartridge --->
*Audioquest Wildcat tonearm cable (came w/ the turntable and retails for about $100) --->
Rothwell Headspace headamp (purchased due to the 38db Gain of the Budgie to add 10db) --->
*This is where i currently have the Lautus cable --->
Accession ---> Fixed Output --->
*Blue Jeans LC-1 Cable --->
Cambridge CXA60 Integrated amp ---> Polk LSiM703 speakers (via Blue Jeans cable speaker wire)

My assumption was that having just one pair of Lautus cables in the chain wouldn't change the sound if I still had Blue Jeans cables for at least one other part of the chain.  I was wrong.  When I switched out the Lautus cables for another pair of Blue Jeans cables, the sound quality went down. 

I'm all ready to purchase the Accession but need to know the best path for interconnects.  I've read the CuSat50 cable would be best for the tonearm cable.  Does it come with a Straight 5-pin JIS plug?   

Will Lautus cables from the headamp to the Accession and then Lautus cables to my amp be another big increase? 

*I will also be using a pair of interconnects for the variable output connection of the Accession to my DAC (Korg DS-DAC-10R). (So that totals 3 Lautus cables and 1 CuSat50 cable?, or?)

Yes, I could get a loan on another pair or 3, but I'd rather just see what people's experiences have been and then pull the trigger!

Thanks, Todd
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:25pm
Some members here have said that, in their personal opinion and for some applications, they think a shorter CuSat50 cable provides better results than a longer Lautus cable, especially at the phono signal level, where small changes in capacitance and inductance seem to be more influential on sound balance. I would use the loan scheme to AB test a shortlist of cable candidates before commiting, just to be confident.
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:45pm
Interesting, I certainly could use some shorter ones.  The shortest CuSat50 cable is 0.6 meters (about 2 feet).  I could easily make that work in my current setup with all my connections.
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:43am
I guess the "Straight 5-pin JIS plug" is better known as a 5 pin din connector.  Is the CuSat50 cable available with one of those?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:10am
A PM or call to John C, who makes the cables, will help in finding out what "specials" are possible.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:19pm
Now I see there is a "DIN Breakout Cable" available which would work except my Jelco tonearm needs a 5 pin DIN female connector.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:41pm
Again, ask John C...

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic