FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Iphone Xs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superteds34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superteds34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iphone Xs
    Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 11:24am
Hi im new to the forum. I have a solo ultra linear headphone amp that has been locked away in a cupboard for ages. In the past i connected my iphone via an arcam DAC docking station into the phono in sockets. however since those days I have changed my phone many times and it is no longer compatible with the arcam docking station. checking teh arcam site they no longer make this type of simple device so im thinking a simple lightning to phono lead mught do the trick? however this would mean no DAC in between the phone and the amp so i imagine this would give poorer results? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Be gentle with me as I am absolutely clueless about this stuff.Cry
Many thanks 
Brian
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 6:07pm
Why do you need to add a DAC?
A suitable cable should do the trick.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
superteds34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superteds34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:42pm
my understanding is that all the I-phones have an onboard DAC but that it’s not up to much. When listening to tidal on the headphones without an external DAC it’s not very good quality. I have the older sennheiser hd700’s and they expose any deficiencies in the source. Even the arc am made the sound less harsh but at the same time revealed more detail. My ultimate objective is to achieve that again but not spend a fortune doing it. 
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 8:30pm
Try a Bitzie on the loan scheme?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:19pm
Hi Brian,
   There a number USB DAC’s available that you can connect between your iPhone and Solo. The models from Audioquest and M2Tech are both very fine for the money. You’ll need the camera connection kit to go lightening to USB. 
However, the Bitzie will handle Tidal brilliantly and is an excellent headphone amp, something the others say they are, but really aren’t. It needs power, though if you’re thinking Solo, I assume you’ll be stationary anyway? If you want to use your Solo, then a USB DAC might be the go. 
I know Ash has compared the Bitzie and Solo on the forum somewhere. His comments would be well worth reading. 
Happy hunting,
Mick.

Edited by Aussie Mick - 06 Nov 2019 at 10:26pm
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 12:08am
For £400, the Bitzie and Lautus USB cable combination are incredible value for the sound quality attainable. Using the Lautus Powerwire and a non-bus 5V power supply will only improve it further. Keep it powered on a few hours and wow, incredible performance, even via 5V bus-power. Very comparable sound to the Solo, in my opinion, depending on the impedance load connected.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 4:36am
Ash is absolutely right, I use an iPhone XR with the Bitzie when travelling & sound quality cannot be faulted. It's both a high quality DAC & headphone amp.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic