FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Greetings From Idaho!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 4:58am
Greetings Todd, I was a few miles away from you (Boise) until last weekend! but am in CA now until the end of the month. Pity as I'm an Accession user & would liked to have met up Handshake
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:33pm
Oh wow!  What brought you to Boise of all places?
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by rochdale3 rochdale3 wrote:

Yes, I have been using the headamp in my trial. 

That was a very intriguing idea about taking out the headamp and using the variable output (volume control) to my amp.  Unfortunately that was much quieter even when the volume knob was at full blast. 

I'm assuming the variable output is designed mainly for using with a DAC which can use normalization in it's software to boost the overall sound of a recording.  I can still use the volume knob as well for the initial recording to get it to -6db or so.

My apologies for not being more clear. I meant using the volume control on your receiver/integrated/stereo preamp. You'll need to turn it up a bit more with a 2 mV output cartridge, but the AccM on it's own should be able to work without a headamp per listed spec. My philosophy is that anything unnecessary in the chain should probably be removed, or at least experiment with taking it out. That said, it's your system, and you've got to do what makes you happy. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Yes, I have been using the headamp in my trial. 

That was a very intriguing idea about taking out the headamp and using the variable output (volume control) to my amp.  Unfortunately that was much quieter even when the volume knob was at full blast. 

I'm assuming the variable output is designed mainly for using with a DAC which can use normalization in it's software to boost the overall sound of a recording.  I can still use the volume knob as well for the initial recording to get it to -6db or so.

My apologies for not being more clear. I meant using the volume control on your receiver/integrated/stereo preamp. You'll need to turn it up a bit more with a 2 mV output cartridge, but the AccM on it's own should be able to work without a headamp per listed spec. My philosophy is that anything unnecessary in the chain should probably be removed, or at least experiment with taking it out. That said, it's your system, and you've got to do what makes you happy. 

Oh I see!  I was having to turn the volume on my amp up to about the 2 o'clock position to get the sound I wanted when I just had the Budgie.  I also use this integrated amp for regular TV watching and would of course forget to turn the volume all the way back down for that which would be quite the shock and not good for my speakers! 

So the headamp was the solution.  Now I only have to turn it to 11 o'clock or so.  I also found the Budgie sounded better with the headamp.  I'm getting the same results with the headamp going into the Accession as opposed to the Accession all by itself  (Though it's more like 10:30).

thanks!
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 3:46am

Oh wow!  What brought you to Boise of all places?
We previously owned a house there which our Daughter & family lived in until they could afford their own place - CA born husband grew up in Boise & relatives live Donnelly/Payette Lake. She still has two properties in Boise but since summer 2018 lives in Santa Barbara (she loves California... we actually prefer Idaho in spite of your furnace to freezer seasons!) 

The Record Exchange & Record World have much better pricing even though the number of stores near where she now lives vastly outnumber Boise.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 5:24pm
I prefer Idaho over California too.  It's sunny all the time even in winter.  I'm from Seattle where that certainly isn't the case!  Yes, it can get hot in the summer but nowhere near Phoenix/Las Vegas hot.

The Record Exchange has gotten a lot better vinyl-wise.  When I first moved here (2007) they had a smaller vinyl area and not a lot of what I was looking for. 
rochdale3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rochdale3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:03am
I finally read the (unpaid) endorsement of the conductor (Kory Katseanes) on here and was amused to see that he is a native of Blackfoot, Idaho.  It's a sign!  He listened to the Accession M with CuSat50 interconnects which is probably the combination I am going to purchase as well.  Small world.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic