FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

headphones amp how to connect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headphones amp how to connect
    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 1:16am
I'm having a problem with how to connect a headphone amp to my amp so that i can play a CD player and a vinyl record turntable with out having to disconnect the cables each time.
Now my Amp has no tape loop so at 1st i thought of using the amp as a pre amp only.
in the user instructions of the amp it say's
Pre Mode
All signals to and from the amplifer of the 8300A are disconnected. In this mode, the 8300A functions as a pre-amplifer
But then i will have two volume controls so i don't think i can go down this route?
Now i'm thinking of a splitter but i don't know which one to go for ether Y cable or Hard RCA Splitter which is best? I wound prefer to use my stereo amp a audiol-- but this may not be possible. i'm bit confused.
I know i'm going for a Graham Slee headphone Amp that's it that's not confusing

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 3:19am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I'm having a problem with how to connect a headphone amp to my amp so that i can play a CD player and a vinyl record turntable with out having to disconnect the cables each time.
Now my Amp has no tape loop so at 1st i thought of using the amp as a pre amp only.
in the user instructions of the amp it say's
Pre Mode
All signals to and from the amplifer of the 8300A are disconnected. In this mode, the 8300A functions as a pre-amplifer
But then i will have two volume controls so i don't think i can go down this route?
Now i'm thinking of a splitter but i don't know which one to go for ether Y cable or Hard RCA Splitter which is best? I wound prefer to use my stereo amp a audiol-- but this may not be possible. i'm bit confused.
I know i'm going for a Graham Slee headphone Amp that's it that's not confusing

Can you explain what equipment you are using and maybe post some pics of the connections on the back? 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 2:47pm
Hi,
It looks like the 8300A doesn't have a fixed line out connection so you have little choice but
to use one of the 'Pre Output' connections with 'Pre' Mode set.
Try setting vol to a level on the 8300A to give you a good range of adjustment on the GS
amp.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 12:30am
hi patientot
my HiFi is Audiolab 8300A amp and 8300cd CD player P******t 1Xpression carbon turntable
Monitor audio silver 100 speakers and graham slee phono amp Reflex X .mm
all connected by RCAs
i'm not good with computers so can't post pictures
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 11:55am
8300A back view:

place mouse over image, click right button, click view image
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 7:38pm
Hmm, looking at the connectors on the back in the picture, I think Rich W is correct. You would have to use a pre-out connector and carefully set the volume before setting the volume on your GS headphone amp. I think you should still be able to use the source selection function of the integrated amp, so it should be easy to switch between phono/CD/etc. if those sources are plugged into the integrated amp. I would try that before messing with splitters and such. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 4:04pm
Thanks all for the advice
I spoke to two of my friends as they have gone down the headphone route both told me the same they didn't get around the problem they both went direct to the headphone amp for the best sound.
One of them spoke to his HiFi dealer about the problem he told him that a lot of their customers find they are listening through their headphones more than to their speakers.
He told me that's same for him.
I will still try the pre amp mode. But with the direct route I can get the headphone amp near to where I sit and see how I get on with that for the time being
plus they both told me to buy a gs headphone amp I am anyway.
now it's time to think of what headphones to get.
Again thanks all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic