FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Auditioning Reflex C and Accession MC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Originally posted by Thx_golfer Thx_golfer wrote:

I have only had a few hours of listening but here are my I initial thoughts.

Gear:
Clear audio Concept table with Reflex arm and Sumiko Blackbird Low Output MC Cartridge
SimAudio ACE 

Moon 110lp 2 - Very musical, detailed soundstage and solid imaging
Reflex C - improved instrument separation, more enjoyable listening experience
Ascension - bloated bass, and smearing soundstage.  My assumption is that there is too much gain for a .7mV output cartridge 

Going to do some more listening and will continue to post feedback after additional testing.

The gain specs for the Acc MC and Reflex C are almost the same. I doubt that is the problem, but maybe someone else can chime in. 

What you could try is using the variable output of the Acc MC and see how that goes. 
Thank you Patientot... as always, on target.

Thx_golfer... Have you left the Accession MC powered up for at least 3 days before checking for how it sounds? 

Also, have you set the small switches on the back for cartridge loading?
 The settings are: 500, 300, 100 and 75 Ohms. 100 ohms is most common.

Powered by the Enigma PSU1 it should sound very good. 
If it does not please contact me.

Here to help,
Bruce
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Thx_golfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thx_golfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 1:43am
Thanks for the comments. A couple clarifications:

-All phono stages have been plugged in for several days.
-There is plenty more listening to do and I haven’t ruled anything out yet.  
-I only have about 45 min of listening on each, which is why I mentioned these are initial thoughts.

Look for more posts Tues
GippleDocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GippleDocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 2:32pm
"Bloated bass" makes me wonder whether the Accession is accidentally set for 'CA / Flat'.  If I turn EQ off, I get bloated bass and diminished top end.

Forgive me if you've already checked, but for all but the oldest vinyl the front panel switches ought to be set from left to right: up (labelled 'Stereo'), down ('EQ'), down (bottom position of three, labelled 'RIAA').
Richard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thx_golfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 8:25pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, put in some more critical listening today.

Accenssion MC - Initial listening was done on 100 Ohm setting, tried 300 and 500 today and didn't make a huge difference.  What I did determine, I am hearing a very emphasized low end and high end.  The mid range seems to be lacking.  The 500 Ohm setting increased the volume dramatically.  

After words I thought I would try the variable output.  What a difference that makes, turning the knob between the 1 and 2 o'clock settings makes this a much more enjoyable listen.  My brain was fried by the time I got to this point, so I will definitively be trying with this in the 100 Ohm setting

Reflex C - Still my favorite of the 3 options.  Just set it and forget it.  Sounds amazing, clear soundstage and imaging.  Natural tones of the artists are clear and enjoyable.

Moon 110lp v2 - This is a close second.  Does not have quite the detail of the reflex C, but at approx half the price may be difficult to pass on.

Please keep the comments coming and I will continue to play around.  This is fun and exhausting.  I love this hobby!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by GippleDocks GippleDocks wrote:

"Bloated bass" makes me wonder whether the Accession is accidentally set for 'CA / Flat'.  If I turn EQ off, I get bloated bass and diminished top end.

Forgive me if you've already checked, but for all but the oldest vinyl the front panel switches ought to be set from left to right: up (labelled 'Stereo'), down ('EQ'), down (bottom position of three, labelled 'RIAA').

Good tip. That would definitely be an issue if one is playing records that require RIAA. I would check the settings very carefully if I were testing out the Accession (either model). 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:28pm
A few dB of EQ is subtle but changes the listening experience for me. On occasions I have accidentally left the Accession EQ on 'British' (up) after playing old classical LP's that sounded better that way but then found subsequent modern records a little tiring until I realised my mistake. Doh!

The 'American' setting (middle) does tame trebly records so would have the opposite effect of dulling a normal RIAA LP. I am sure you've checked that already. That's a clever idea trying the reduced output level and may have got your main volume control up into a sweeter part. Discuss?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thx_golfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:22pm
Here is the latest update.

After several conversations, it was determined that the loaner Accesssion MC that I was using was broken.  I was contacted and sent a new unit directly, it has been in my possession for about 4 days and can definitely tell the difference from the broken one.

It is for sure a step up from the Reflex in terms of bass extension, detail and overall enjoyment.  I have decided to open up the comparisons to a couple other units that may be able to stand toe to toe with the Accession MC.  The Moon by SimAudio 310 and the McIntosh MP100.  I don't have enough time to give my full thoughts on all three as they have different characteristics, but all extremely good.

More to come, thanks for listening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic