FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Battery based power source ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mhamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mhamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery based power source ?
    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:16pm
Has there been discussion of a battery based power source for the phono preamps? There are several on the market.  A couple of gel-cells should provide clean low noise 24V. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 4:50pm
There has been talk about this on the forum and using the advanced search facility you might dig up some posts.

My own view is that batteries don't have a stable dissipation factor over the frequency range of operation: gain bandwidth refers to any frequency where the gain is 1 or above, and most products will go to at least 3 or 4 MHz. I am not talking about frequency response.

The signal becomes part of the current being supplied by a power supply, and to comply with the laws of physics current flows in circles, and as such must flow back from ground through the power supply. Therefore the signal encounters the power source, and if it were to represent different conditions at different frequencies it might well have a subjective effect on the music. That was the thinking behind the Enigma version of the PSU1 (to make it more constant).

If you have hum due to the way your system is connected to the mains supply, a battery supply to a phono stage might affect a cure by breaking a hum-loop, but it isn't because the power supply is causing it. If that were the case I don't think we'd still be selling phono stages after 20 years.

Edited by Graham Slee - 09 Oct 2019 at 5:04pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:26pm
I've seen battery powered phono stages on the market and people adapting their phono stages and other gear to run off battery power. I've often wondered if they don't trade one problem for another. Of course this is outside of my wheelhouse and above my pay grade as they say. 

One design I looked at used a lithium ion rechargeable battery pack. At some point, the charge pack would wear out and have to be replaced. 

Another design by another company used several "D" cell alkaline batteries. Those will of course drain over time and have to be tossed - not something I like. I should also mention this company no longer offers that battery model and has since switched over to a similar model that uses conventional AC power.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:45pm
Graham may recall that several years ago I showed him & John a dual 12v battery cell that I used to keep my Reflex M powered up when I transported it to other systems. It can also run a GSP phono stage for several hours.

I used it a few times and compared with the PSU-1 on both Reflex M & Accession M and it does indeed have an effect on the music (as Graham notes above) - never as satisfying as with the mains powered PSU, rather sterile, less engaging sounding.

I also found it useful to check polarity with mains connections on the PSU-1 given that + & - are wired correctly on the battery supply & only one orientation of the fig-8 lead gives a very similar presentation.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
zyss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:44pm
Batteries are not the same. Some types have more noise than others. From what I have read, the NiCd batteries are the least noisy. They also keep their voltage well while discharging. I am going to build a battery pack of NiCd batteries to try with my Revelation M. Are there any guidelines for building a battery pack for audio applications, anything to keep in mind? I noted Graham's reply on this subject, and I doubt that a battery power supply would be superior to the Enigma (which I'll need to upgrade from my PSU-1). But sound perception is subjective, and I may like some change of sound (or not). I'll keep you infomed when ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic