FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU-1 for Reflex M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSU-1 for Reflex M
    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 1:28pm
At the time I ordered my Reflex M I could not get the PSU-1, but have now just ordered one. Looking forward to the improvements it brings and doing some comparisons with the basic power supply.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:47pm
Set up the PSU-1. First thing I notice is that it's less noisy than the wall wart in my system. Tried the polarity both ways as suggested in the instructions - there was definitely a difference between rotating the adapter cord one way over the other. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:09pm
The PSU-1 is a great improvement on the Reflex M... would be interesting to hear the difference increment with the Enigma, although I guess the Enigma was really designed/developed for the Accession MC... might depend on how noisy the mains ring is in your house (?)...
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

The PSU-1 is a great improvement on the Reflex M... would be interesting to hear the difference increment with the Enigma, although I guess the Enigma was really designed/developed for the Accession MC... might depend on how noisy the mains ring is in your house (?)...

I wasn't even aware the Enigma would work with the Reflex M. I'd probably be more likely to consider the Enigma if I was running an MC cart and phono stage. Gonna live with the PSU-1 for awhile I think. Power here is not the best but not the worst either (I'm in a semi-urban area and live in a building constructed in the 70s). 
harryt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harryt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 12:32pm
Hello,
I just received my Reflex M with the PSU1 and I was wondering about rotating the adapter cord. Should you only try that after the unit has been on for awhile and exactly what differences should I be listening for?
I ask because I have 74 year old ears with slight tinnitus and may spend much time trying to hear differences I just can't hear.
Thanks for any information you can give.
Harry

WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:23pm
Hi Harry,

Am not sure on the question of whether to try it now or later once the Reflex M has been used for a while but it's certainly worth rotating the figure-8 cord and seeing what you find - as an engineer I thought this was voodoo until I tried it and actually found a difference.  Am sure others will understand and can inform on why there may be a difference at all but am assuming it's down to differences in the transformer primary and secondary windings... but anyway, from memory I found the difference to be subtle but producing a cleaner sound one way round versus the other...

The only good advice I can give is that once you've found a preferred orientation, you mark the cord and the PSU-1 with a blob of Tippex (or similar) so you don't forget should you ever need to disconnect later on...

Have fun,

David
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 1:28pm
Hi Harry,
Congratulations on getting a Reflex M - superb they are.Smile
My advice would be to let it run in for a couple of weeks or more and to allow you to familiarise
yourself with its sound & abilities before worrying about reversing the mains lead.
I found changing the lead polarity made very subtle differences ...but your mains supply 
may well make it worthwhile.

Edit: Just beaten to the post by Wigglywoo Smile

Edited by RichW - 17 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic