FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essentials for Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 3:47pm
I wish you'd made a considered post, end of story.
Instead you start calling the mastering engineer's abilities and integrity into question, and it's needless.

miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

There are plenty of examples - Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over thing MTV organised has the overly loud congas that start the tune.
On a set of small speakers it sounds very present in the mix.
Play it on speakers that can get towards reproducing the low end and punch and the mixing imbalance gets more noticeable and more uncomfortable.
The mixing was done of the hoof while the performance was taking place, and it was done in a mobile recording truck, with typical live broadcast monitors (ie small and nearfield, because there's not much room in mobile broadcast units).
Everyone is asleep so I have stolen a few blissful moments of silence... Big smile

I just focussed on what you mean at the start of the song; they clearly wanted the percussion to have extra impact during the layered introduction and in certain sections didn't they? I'm not sure if it is just my playback limitations (PC > Bitzie > HD540ii) but to my ears the percussion does reduce slightly when the other instruments start. It could also be the headphones becoming swamped by all the other instruments...?

I first heard this performance in my teens at a show (Ideal Home I think) and it was being demo'd on the VideoLogic dts system. The bass of the  drum thundering out of the sub caught my attention as I walked by and resulted in efforts over the years to hunt down the recording.

Comparing to that binaural percussion recording I mentioned earlier, I do not think a natural mix could have been as enjoyable.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 5:34pm
I have heard the Eagles CD played back on a system with 15" Tannoys, and the conga drowned everything else out.
That system sounded superb on everything, but I think its Achilles heel was found that day.

I've never had that happen with my system (largely because I've never had speakers capable of delivering such clout), but there's a lot of other stuff going on that shouldn't be masked.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by John1479 John1479 wrote:

The principle album I use is John Martyn, Solid Air. 1973.

Beautifully recorded on the original vinyl. The Abbey Road half speed remastered reissue of 2016 is taken from a digital master. (only realised this after listening, disappointments and subsequent research into recording) There are audible differences especially in vocal positions. Not an improvement on the original! 
Why the remastering engineers always think they know best, is beyond me! It must be an EGO thing. (Or perhaps they were recording for headphones????) 
Worth considering when looking for the 'best' version. 

Fantastic combination of acoustic and electronic instruments. Good mix of tempo's and vocal performance makes this hard to better for an overall setup record IMHO Smile

I link this to give a flavour only. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU

I love this album and own it both LP and CD. I hadn't thought of it when OP started this thread but it could be a test album. As for the LP reissue you're talking about, I don't have that one. Mine is a mid-70s repress that uses that same metalwork as the first pressing. It does have a few crackles here are there, and I would agree with what someone else said that finding a very clean copy is difficult, especially in the U.S. where I've lived. In all my searching I've only come across one. John Martyn records just aren't that common in the used bins here, except maybe some of the later ones every now and then. 

As for mastering mistakes on that vinyl reissue, I don't think Miles Showell would intentionally screw something up. His philosophy is to transfer everything to digital first before cutting laquers at half speed. Whatever you think of that is up to you. It's possible the tape he was given by the record label was compromised or had age related issues - that would certainly not be unheard of. On another forum, folks have pointed out some channel balance issues with some of the reissues he's work on by using software to record the output of the record. My guess is this happened by accident or is some sort of problem with the equipment at AR or possibly a compromised tape. 

The records I have cut by MS are mostly albums that were done while he was at Metropolis, and none of those, to my knowledge, have major channel balance issues. 

Edited by patientot - 28 Sep 2019 at 6:53pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

The principle album I use is John Martyn, Solid Air. 1973.

Beautifully recorded on the original vinyl. The Abbey Road half speed remastered reissue of 2016 is taken from a digital master. (only realised this after listening, disappointments and subsequent research into recording) There are audible differences especially in vocal positions. Not an improvement on the original! 
Why the remastering engineers always think they know best, is beyond me! It must be an EGO thing. (Or perhaps they were recording for headphones????) 
Worth considering when looking for the 'best' version. 

Fantastic combination of acoustic and electronic instruments. Good mix of tempo's and vocal performance makes this hard to better for an overall setup record IMHO Smile

I link this to give a flavour only. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU

Seeing red and tilting at windmills are we?
You need to calm down a bit.

It's a great pity that original pressings from 1973 in unplayed condition aren't readily available.

You have an opinion.
That's fine.
You could have left it at a simple "I'm not taken with it", but no, in the world of black and white it's an abomination.

A lot more consideration before posting wouldn't go amiss.

Ta Wink

I think this is patronising, personal and judgemental. 

Black and White? Putting words into my mouth, telling me what I should and shouldn't write? When it was a reasonable criticism and hypothesis. 

Certainly the fact that albums are being repeatedly remastered should be enough of an indication that someone somewhere has got something wrong.

You've blown this resonable criticism into a personal criticism which I find highly unjust and offensive. Calm down, indeed. 

I don't appreciate unjust censure from anyone. 

If you believe my posts to be incompatible with YOUR views, perhaps one should consider the future of the forum within the context of the rules of the forum.

If  my post was an unjust, personal attack on someone I could accept your criticism. 

I think it's a petty shot for no good reason. 

Edited by John1479 - 28 Sep 2019 at 7:45pm
John
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 8:00pm

Making comments such as this do not do anyone any favours.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:53pm
Slightly off-topic but this (simplified explanation) might help in the understanding the music production side, and is based on my own near-layman experiences:

(Analogue) Mixer gain when recording a multi-miked or over-dubbed performance can influence the sound in at least a couple of ways.

Mixers are summing devices so if we call each input level "1", then one input gives us a sum of 1, two inputs a sum of 2 and n inputs a sum of n.

We can adjust levels in the mix to favour one input over another, but the mixer has two "level controls": the first being all the input channels; the second being the output.

If we leave all inputs at their optimum, then when all inputs are playing the output increases and is adjusted down to the required level by the output control.

If however, most inputs favour high frequencies, then as they play together we will experience high frequency boost as the output is lowered to meet the level required (because the fewer bass instruments are relatively attenuated by the process).

Looking at a modern motorized desk we can see the inputs being controlled to fit the required level thus removing mixer gain to a greater degree, and this takes a computer to memorize the sequences.

On simple productions a sound engineer might be able to balance the inputs, but on something more complex and fast moving, a manual desk will prove difficult to control, with the engineer either needing to work the output level too; or perhaps getting a compressor (or in broadcast, an Optimod) to take on the effort.

The above is a simplification but I'm sure it will be realised there is a lot of skill involved in getting a satisfying sound, and I'm sure many unavoidable mistakes must happen. I only ever mixed 8 channels front of house for a folk group (with no rehearsal as I was filling-in for their usual chap who was ill) after which I said never again!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic