FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essentials for Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essentials for Testing
    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:56pm
Good afternoon,

As part of my efforts to create a system that satisfies my audio needs, I listened to some long forgotten tracks at the weekend that have reminded me of the SQ qualities that Graham's kit first allowed me to hear.

Bearing in mind that my system is currently headphone based, I am looking to compile a list of songs that will demonstrate the limitations of anything but the best gear, including my HD540ii headphones. I am interested to test every aspect of SQ, from LF power and texture to lifelike HF, large-scale soundstage and especially detailed stereo imaging (binaural recordings can be included here).

To make this more interesting, I thought it would be fun to make this a community effort. Do you have any favourite songs or albums you recommend? If so, please list below and any specific details to listen out for.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:50pm
This is a tough one. I would first start with recordings that you know inside and out. That way you know what to listen for. Are you looking for recordings on CD/digital or LP? 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

This is a tough one. I would first start with recordings that you know inside and out. That way you know what to listen for. Are you looking for recordings on CD/digital or LP? 
I guess part of the reason to open this to the community is the opportunity to discover more music... Embarrassed

Sadly it would be CD or digital for me as I am not audiophile enough. Wink
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

I guess part of the reason to open this to the community is the opportunity to discover more music... Embarrassed

Sadly it would be CD or digital for me as I am not audiophile enough. Wink

Nothing wrong with CD or digital audio. I enjoy CDs, LPs, and FLAC files. 

Maybe you could list off some of your typical test tracks or some music you like. The last thing we'd want to do is suggest music that you don't care for or is so outside your genre preferences it's not going to help you. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 8:32pm

Nothing wrong with CD or digital audio. I enjoy CDs, LPs, and FLAC files. 

Maybe you could list off some of your typical test tracks or some music you like. The last thing we'd want to do is suggest music that you don't care for or is so outside your genre preferences it's not going to help you. 
I agree, although the thread I started just now may explain more my statement.

I am yet to hear music that is not a preference as if I like it, I like. The genres range from classical, jazz (preferably the melodic kind rather than the type where everyone is playing a different song Big smile), alternative, Latin, "world", RnB, blues, pop, rock'n'roll, classic rock, rock, metal, dance... You name it, I probably have a folder dedicated to the genre.

Some of my (un)usual test tracks are:

Anouar Brahem - The Lover of Beirut.
Elvis Presley - Song of the Shrimp (no idea why).
Eric Clapton - Signe (from the "Unplugged" album).
Fanboy Slim - Punk to Funk.
Gregory Porter - Hey Laura.
Hans Zimmer - Like a Dog Chasing Cars (wonderfully complex but I am starting to be concerned it is actually heavily distorted).
Jimmy Smith - too many to list.
Massive Attack - Teardrop.
Monty Alexander - Hajj Baba.
Muse - again, far too many.
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Stairway to Heaven.
Russ Liquid - Opus One.
Stevie Wonder - He's Misstra Know it All (sparkly HF).
Tan Dun feat. Yo-Yo Ma - Farewell (very emotive).
The Beatles - And I Love Her.
The Persuasions - Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of.
Within Temptation - Unplugged album plus various studio songs.
Yiruma - River Flows in You.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 8:34pm
That list has been the mainstay for far too long and needs updating, hence needing new options.

I should have added some Pink Floyd and southern rock classics but you get the general idea.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic