FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Gram Amp 2 or Gram Amp 2 SE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gram Amp 2 or Gram Amp 2 SE
    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 3:57pm
Hi all,

New to the forum and to vinyl. I have an entry level setup (P******t debut carbon DC tt paired with audioengine a5 speakers).  I am trying to decide on a good phono stage that will work well with my setup and don't want to pay more for an upgraded unit that won't do much for my system.  Given that, I've been considering the two lower end MM units and would love some insight from those with technical knowledge (as I have none!) about whether getting the more expensive SE unit would yield appreciably better results for me than the lowest gram amp 2 model.

Thanks!!
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:21am
If you’re unsure what to buy try them on loan first. Loan an interconnect too then decide.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 1:41pm
In my current setup I do use a Michell TecnoDec with Rega RB250/Tecnoweight and Nagaoka MP110 cartridge

From 2006 on I have been using a few types of Slee models (2x GoldV, 2x Reflex) on different moments with different stereo systems > all very OK! Smile
But about 10 years ago I switched to integrated amps with MM phonoboards (LFD and later Exposure XXXV INT)

In 2018 I needed a temporary solution when my XXXV had to be repaired in the UK (replacement of the ALPS mechanical sourceselector, of which the contacts went slowly bad and worse after 13 years )

I did choose for the GramAmp 2 Communicator and later on replaced the 'green'PS with my PSU1(from Solo amp)
The result was very good and the combi had great synergy withín my systemThumbs Up

But even with the 'green'PS the sound would have been good enough for me
So…. the gramAmp2 stayed in is still very satisfying for me now with my XXXV again

So IMO you could buy the cheapest GA2C and eventually upgrade with a PSU1
(Sorry, but I did never listen to a GramAmp 2SE, so cannot comment on that type...)

Edited by Cyreg - 21 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 3:20pm
In the years I ran the UK loan scheme I tried the GA2 and GA2SE. I thought the former was very good and the latter a step up. It's the SE I would buy in that price range and I think getting a PSU1 later would lift it further. 
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 4:49pm
It would be safe to assume you're here because you are not a sucker..... Wink

It would also be safe to assume you want the best audio performance for your  £ $ € ¥ ? 
It is a given,  that Graham will not 'Mug' (rob) his customers both existing and new with negligible product improvement.

I would hold no doubts over whether the SE is an improvement on the standard, award winning Gram Amp.

I would always push for the product you would like, 'ideally'. 

I came upon GSP through extensive reading upon phono pre-amps‎. The reviews were unanimously positive. The website and this forum proved to be a revelation... Graham's passion, candour and technical expertise were inspirational. I quickly went from planning a DIY Genera build, to thinking of buying a Gram Amp 2SE, to saving for and buying an Accession M with Enigma power supply. This over an 18 month period, whilst other pressing demands on funds came and went. I didn't take advantage of the loaner programme, I was absolutely convinced by all that I had read that whatever my choice, I would not be disappointed. I'm not! 

No regrets, No doubts, No plans for change. 

Proud, Happy and very satisfied I made the right choices. 

The advice to 'Try Before You Buy' is truly Sound.

Whatever you choose to do, ‎I think your ears will tell you what makes Graham's products so very, very special. 
John
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 7:57am
^^ well said, John!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:55pm
I can't comment on the differences between these two models because I use a different model. That said, I would try to buy the "best" you can with your budget to avoid a case of upgraditis too soon, even if that means waiting a little longer before making the purchase. The loan program can help you decide what model to buy or save for. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic