FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Era Gold V popping sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
funckdren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funckdren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Era Gold V popping sound
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 1:03pm
Hi everyone. I have an Era Gold V with a PSU-1 power supply that I bought used – it was well cared for. When I first hooked it up, I immediately noticed something strange when I pressed Start on my TT, a Dual 701 fully-automatic. There was a single popping sound as the Dual began its auto sequence, just as the tonearm was about to lift. And then I noticed that same popping sound at the end of a record – after the tonearm returned home, there was a pop just before the TT shut off.

Concerned, I tested a few more times, and then after about 10 minutes, the popping seemed to go away. I considered it a fluke. But I’ve since noticed that anytime I unplug the Era Gold and plug it back in, I get this popping behavior, which consistently goes away after about 10 minutes.

I’ve never experienced this with other phono stages. I now find it less alarming than curious, and wonder if the circuitry just needs to “warm up" or something. I do see a 19-page thread on burn-in – is this initial popping considered normal behavior, and is it related to burn-in?

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:27pm
could it be an earth issue?  Have you connected the earth to the EGV?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:46pm
Like Graham's other preamps it is designed to left powered up and will sound even better than when it has just been turned on. Hope that helps.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
funckdren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funckdren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:14pm
Thanks for your replies! The EGV is plugged into a grounded power outlet. That should ground it to the earth, right?

Yes, I do leave the EGV on all the time. Occasionally I have to unplug it though, so I'm just wondering if, when I turn it back on, this popping that eventually goes away is normal or worrisome.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:52pm
It takes a few minutes for initial leakage conditions to decay, this being an AC coupled phono stage, so can be considered normal.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
funckdren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote funckdren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

It takes a few minutes for initial leakage conditions to decay, this being an AC coupled phono stage, so can be considered normal.

Very reassuring, thanks!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by funckdren funckdren wrote:

Thanks for your replies! The EGV is plugged into a grounded power outlet. That should ground it to the earth, right?

No, the power supplies provide a floating supply, which avoids potential ground loop problems. Using the grounding terminal on the EGV connected to the Turntable ground might give better results.
From what you describe it may be that the turntable has a mute function which shorts the output as the arm is lifted and opens as the arm is lowered.

Having checked the manual, there is indeed a "short circuiter" device to prevent noises during the automatic (arm lift etc) operation. See Vinyl Engine - https://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/701.shtml

Happy Listening
Ian

Edited by BackinBlack - 18 Aug 2019 at 7:47pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic