FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Flat setting for digitizing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat setting for digitizing?
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:36pm
Hello Forum members,
I'm just about to try my first digitizing project using the Accession MM and a Schiit Jil ADC into VinylStudio. I'm wondering what other members would recommend with the Accession EQ setting? Would you recommend using the flat setting? I'm not planning to adjust EQ (not even sure if it's possible) in VinylStudio afterwards, I just want the best sounding file to begin with. Anybody have a recommendation?
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:10am
Hi Kory,
I am hoping Bob will chip in here, he seems to do more digitising than many here.
While I believe eq is possible in Vinylstudio (which is the recording software I also use) I would tend to suggest that using the standard RIAA eq on the Accession will give the best results.
Personally I would only use the flat setting for records needing non-standard eq.
I suspect that your ADC will be the limiting factor for ultimate SQ.
I would record @ 24/96 on that device, although my own preference is to record @ 24/88.2 for subsequent downsampling to Redbook. 
The JIL does not offer this sample rate.
If post processing is required the higher sample rate may help to reduce artifact creation during post processing such as click removal etc.
As an aside, I find that I prefer to run the DL-103 with a 1K load set on the Exp, you may like to try that yourself.
Have fun.

Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
I use 48kHz and 16 bit, with EQ done by my AccMC.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:20pm
Thanks Tony and Jon for both these tips. I'm having a hard time so far getting the Jil to do anything but 48 bit. At 96 and 196 it's just total clipping or something. I'm looking for answers. But I can at least move forward at 48 and I'll let the AccMM do the EQ.

Cheers to you both. 
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:28am
IIRC with that device it is necessary to set the sample rate using the front panel switch and then make sure that the software is set to the same rate.
Tony G
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:12am
Thanks for the tip. I've tried making the adjustment through the software  but the problem still persists. It now appears to me more likely that it's something in the setting of the Macbook that misreads the file sent from the Jil ADC. I've tried all the possibilities I'm aware of and still have not found a fix. I'll keep searching. 
Thanks for your thoughts.
Kory

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:59am
On a Mac, check the settings in the Audio Midi Setup control panel - I seem to recall someone else on another forum having similar difficulties with that device on a Mac and resolving it in that way.
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic