FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphone Recommendations for Commuting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:28pm
I compared HD540II to ER-4S a few years ago. The 540II had a flatter response and more bass weight, in my personal opinion. The ER-4S was lacking in bass authority and the upper midrange/lower treble region seemed a bit elevated (at a higher level) in direct comparison. Both are really decent though. Compare them through your powerwire Bitzie after leaving it powered on for a few hours. The difference in ability should be quite apparent.

There are different degrees of closed if you analyse various headphone designs. Some are completely sealed at both front and back. Some have a closed back with earpads that let sound through and some are open back with open earpads that let sound in/out both sides. You can put sealed pads on an open back too, if you want to adversely affect its sound with no improvement to isolation. Put 540II open velvet pads on the HD250 and surprise surprise, it sounds pretty much like the 540II.

Edited by Ash - 17 Aug 2019 at 7:47pm
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:01am
Thanks Ash. Do you know if the ER-4S sounds considerably different than the PT? I am yet to purchase the converter cable as the loading will present an issue in my current usage.

Realistically I won't be able to compare via my Bitzie until the youngest moves out of the living room and allows me to access the PC again, but the remaining option would require buying cables to use with my phone or tablet (Micro B and Type C just to be difficult). Ultimately that could be a waste if I end up with a dedicated unit.

I meant fully closed as I have not yet experienced the vacuum effect with any of the open varieties. As open-backed headphones bleed sound to assist the soundstage though, I would presume that they are not ideal for commuting as the noise pollution will compromise the SQ.

Irrespective of their own sound signature, the one thing that IEMs cannot be beaten for is that their sound isolation prevents the sound from changing in different environments; they always remain the same, good or bad. If it works for live performers great, but typically the market is saturated with coloured sound as apparently real life needs an EQ to be acceptable...?

Edited by miT - 18 Aug 2019 at 10:18am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:13pm
ER4 P vs S vs PT vs SR vs XR, I have only used the S so can't really comment. P is lower impedance so better for portable use. Maybe it has slightly more bass weight than the S? Isn't the PT just the P and S in one product, is it comes with the impedance adapter? Construction didn't change at all, I don't think. SR and XR have metal body and removable cable, no glider mushroom tips and a 100% price hike over the original cost of the ER4. Uhhhhhhh.........

If your ER4 is in good working order, I would stick with it as you probably won't get the maximum potential out of full-size headphones on the go but would have to put up with their disadvantages and increased risk of damage/theft. The newest ER4 models are going to be incremental improvements of SQ at best, in my own judgement without hearing them. This is coming from someone who once owned about 16 different HD540 headphones and at least 6 different HD250 headphones. If quality control was already good then sound consistency between models of roughly the same type and design should be good and certainly comparable so save your money and buy more music with it instead.

Edited by Ash - 18 Aug 2019 at 12:13pm
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:05pm
Same as me with my version. One day I will have to get the adapter to compare as the ER-4S is respected even on HeadFi, which is impressive considering that community believe you need a different system for every genre of music you listen to... Wacko

Unlike the more commercial brands, I like to think that Etymotic have only released a new version after so long because they feel it is an actual improvement. The price most definitely isn't but considering some companies are now justifying a £2k+ price tag on IEMs (at least to themselves), in the grand scheme of things Etymotic are still operating at the lower end of the market and to an extremely limited market.

The HD540ii are definitely my favourite of all my headphones, which is why I would not want to risk damaging them. If I had a second set however... You don't happen to have any more you were unable to sell do you? Wink
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:17pm
No, I don't have any 540II left but I can advise you on how to source/clean/refoam them from here. They are the best budget high fidelity that I have come across and are a really nice looking headphone too. Definitely worth the restoration effort, hence why I went crazy with them in 2014.

2k+ for an in-ear device is a bit absurd. I would expect cutting-edge reproduction for that price and I really don't think that is achievable with in-ear devices.

Edited by Ash - 18 Aug 2019 at 5:21pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:03pm
Just had a look at HD250 and HD540 on ebay.de and no particularly good pickings at the moment for the prices. Although GBP has tumbled against the EUR so prices will be higher these days and part availability has also worsened. Soon, only the most devoted and cash-willing will be able to obtain them. Sad, all I have now are photos of them to show.

Edited by Ash - 18 Aug 2019 at 6:04pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:10pm
Supporting Ash's experience on all those headphones the HD250's are very good. I mainly use my HD250 linear II's to edit soundfiles and sometimes for recordings. I have not tried them on trains but the sound isolation is pretty good so why not. Ash is spot on with the clarity and neutral timbre, which is why Graham recommended them to us as I recall. Moreover Ash's advice on refurbishing the Senns is based on his hands-on expertise and I've seen the great results of his approach to this.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic