FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphone Recommendations for Commuting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headphone Recommendations for Commuting
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:33am
Greetings all,

I have been missing from this forum for a while but it's good to see some of the old faces still active.

I have just started a new job which involves a lot of commuting on the trains. Due to this I have blown the dust off my trusty Etymotic ER-4 IEMs and put them back into service; it is nice to be back!

I am happy with my Etymotics and have custom moulds for them but as I have been out of the game for quite a while, I am interested to see if things have moved on. I have noticed that Etymotic have a newer model but have not looked much further.

Does anyone out there have any IEM recommendations for me? The noise isolation makes London tolerable on my visits and I am not keen on the over-the-ears look so it has to be IEMs.

Thanks,

Tim

Edit: I have opened this up to more than just IEMs as I may eventually convince myself to wear full-size in public...

Edited by miT - 17 Aug 2019 at 7:47am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:07pm
I really liked the ER-4S back when I had them. Really clear and musical sound. The new SR (studio response) and XR (extended response) models are revisions of the ER4 so I reckon will sound pretty much the same but the cable is detachable and the housing durability has been improved, I guess. They also cost a lot more now; used to be about £170 but are now double that new unfortunately. Have you got the 4P or 4S? 4P has lower impedance, I think. I would stick with your current ER4 or look for a good deal on Ebay. I wouldn't absolutely splash the cash on something like an IEM because just by the limited amount of air that they move, they don't tend to approach full-size headphones in bass ability and dynamics. They can be very good however and the B&O earphones that have come with my new LG smartphone are decent, with a surprising amount of bass. Boosted bass but without a muddy signature. Not too shabby, but not sure what the model is or how much it would cost alone.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:32am
Hi Ash,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the ER4P but I know this can be converted to the S by means of the special cable. My only issue has ever been their awkward design as the likes of the Shure or Westone models I used to have fit much sleeker in the ear.

There will always be limitations due to the design, which in reality all headphones also share to varying degrees, but I do not find their lack of bass to be as much of an issue as people have always said. As with my AKG K701s of old I find myself simply focussing on the quality of the highs instead, but due to having to compete with many other sounds while commuting my listening is also considerably less critical than if I was at home.

I am intrigued about the B&Os though... How do you feel the overall sound is with them or is the bass their highlight? They only make one model of earphones so could it perhaps be these:

Are there any other recommendations? Has anyone tried full custom IEMs from the likes of ACS, etc.?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:21am
Must be the B&O Play. This?

£30? Decent if they are identical to what came with my V30+. There is a bass rise. The low bass is quite earth shaking for such a small device. The highs are a bit lower in level I think but the overall signature isn't really bright or dark. Clear without being harsh and I enjoy them with youtube and the FM Radio. I kinda preferred the elevated bass of the B&O earphones from my phone than the neutral bass of my MySphere 3.1 fro m the phone, but from a mobile they're getting nowhere near the voltage swing and slew rate they need to excel in the bass, despite the low impedance and high sensitivity. From a Solo ULDE, the difference in ability would be substantial.

For £30, worth a risk I reckon. I would buy a second pair but there may be better options out there. Not my area of knowledge.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:25am
Thanks for that Ash, worth a look.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:34am
I listen to music from many different genres and styles and these earphones are decent with all of them. Solo piano and classical are great as well.

As an example

Edited by Ash - 28 Jul 2019 at 8:36am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic