FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGII Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:05am
Ideally you want a headphone with a neutral frequency balance and a musical phase response. Lots of listening and lots of comparisons are needed to hear the differences for yourself. In retrospect, I'm not the best person to suggest headphones to others as most of my list contains old/discontinued models or very expensive ones.

Edited by Ash - 11 Jul 2019 at 8:08am
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:24am
With respect Ash, I think the HD650 can be a very high fidelity headphone that scales extremely well with better gear. As always though, your mileage may vary. I would not dissuade anyone from at least trying them with the amp of their choice. There are more technically proficient headphones, but there's good reason why the HD650 has more than stood the test of time. 

I do prefer HD600 myself and it's a sublime match for the Ultra Linear (non DE) to my ears. 
Headphones are such a subjective thing. The only way to know for sure how one will sound to you is to try it, preferably for an extended period of at least a week.

Just my tuppence worth...Wink
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:10am
HD600 is higher fidelity than HD650 but even it has an elevated upper bass and the sound dynamics and tonality of difficult instruments are affected by this. Drums overly thump to compensate for lack of low bass extension and whilst the midrange is good, the transparency of the presentation lacks a bit. HD600/HD650 drivers actually have a smaller coil and diaphragm than the older HD250II/HD540II drivers. 250/540 models have an approximately 36mm diameter driver, which is already small. I think the reduced driver size and oval enclosures both contribute to the smaller narrower stereo image in the HD600/HD650. All these vintage Senns have quite a lot of conserved features such as aluminium voice coil and radial bead diaphragm so I attribute the differences to driver tuning and size. Not to say that the HD600 can't be an enjoyable headphone; it can be, but it's not the last word in high fidelity. Compare it to enough other devices and you will hear the differences.

I think it can take several weeks of use/comparisons to become familiar with the flaws of a headphone. It is not until you forget about what others say and really criticise something for yourself that you begin to see the real truth.

Edited by Ash - 11 Jul 2019 at 9:17am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:23am
Frequency measurements don't mean anything to me. All I need is my ears!
S.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:12am
In all honesty all I am able to say about the HD650 and K701 is that I cannot stand their mid to high frequency distortion no matter what is driving them. Neither can I understand how such failures (IMO) attract a massive fan-base, and is one reason I do not frequent other forums.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
Hmm...I’ve felt for some time now that headphones are much more harshly criticised for departure from flat response than that directed at loudspeakers. Perhaps it’s just that the room has been taken away? But it also seems as though a $250 ‘phone is treated more harshly in assessment than a $250 speaker. Yes, I know, material cost is higher, but...and then it seems as though nobody talks about the changing nature of what’s driving headphones; when the HD600 appeared there weren’t near the number of amp possibilities there are now. I’d like to at least hope amps have improved, but I wonder how much the 600/650 are a child of their times?
And, let’s not forget, lots of people don’t want flat response, either. It seems to me that, just as in a speaker set up, the headphones are the part of the chain that impart the biggest character on the sound of the system as a whole. That’s where I started and now I’m happy. My set up delivers the elements that are musically significant and important to me, yet I know others aren’t as impressed. Okay. That’s fine. 
Seemingly straight forward?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:42am
Try listening to Midnight Cruiser from the album Can't Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan, and I don't think anybody will say it's the frequency response that's the problem. The problem is "added richness" which might be fine at adding "fuzz" to some classical work (God forbid!), but harmonics on harmonics? If a transducer manufacturer thinks adding distortion (the harmonics) is clever, then it shouldn't be making things (IMO). And then the armchair experts start blaming the amplifier for not being able to put right the headphone's "fault", expecting some kind of magic solution. Should we try to add some harmonics to try and cancel out the offending harmonics? Oh, yes, erm... that has been tried - plate-starved low voltage valves! Not forgetting chip rolling. So that's why I keep a low profile. It's a waste of my time trying to educate folk on harmonic distortion and headphones. You only get Trolled!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic