FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC into Solo ULDE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic DAC into Solo ULDE
    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:29am
Highest fidelity interconnect for connecting Majestic to Solo?

1.5m Lautus vs very short CuSat50?

and an R3 version, which uses the other phase, avoiding a certain type of distortion from being carried forward?

Solo is unbalanced so cable can't be balanced.

I literally want the Solo stacked on top of the Majestic so my reasoning would suggest a 0.3m CuSat50-R3 TRS-phono dual-mono would be a better choice than a 1.5m Lautus-R3? Might even mount them as part of a desktop computer in the future so... what do you think?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:24pm
The general consensus is "the shorter the better"?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:08pm
Any ideas?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:17pm
1.5m Lautus from the Majestic RCA outs (your is fixed?).

That's what I use.

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Nov 2019 at 9:18pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:40pm
My Majestic line-out is variable like the balanced output. I will be solely using a Solo ULDE so would it be worth using the balanced TRS to output single-ended to the Solo but using the phase that my -R3 cable uses? I recall you say there was a common mode distortion advantage? This would keep the unbalanced output free if ever I wanted to monitor the output or record.

I already have a CuSat50 0.6m pair so I could try using what I already have first.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:38am
I just realised that both the sending and receiving equipment would need to be capable of balanced operation to allow use of single-ended -R3. Between Majestic and Proprius is ok but not possible between Majestic and Solo.

Is there any simple way to make the Proprius more suitable for driving a high sensitivity load like the MySphere 3.1? It is 15 Ohm impedance with standard cable but I have a resistive cable that can increase the impedance to 110 Ohms. The standard sensitivity is like that of the HD800 (about 96dB/mW) so pretty high although the resistive cable would drop this slightly. If I recall with the HD800, the Proprius dials were in the 8 o'clock position to make noise inaudible.

The Proprius have been great for driving the AKG K1000 but whilst they are 120 Ohm impedance (only 10 more than MySphere with cable), the sensitivity is drastically lower at 74dB/mW.

Edited by Ash - 24 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:52am
Using the R of the TRS balanced output means the output amplifier is the one without the common mode distortion. The T output has, and all non-inverting amps have.

The TRS can be wired to a coax cable such that R is the core and S is the braid, and the other end can connect to a phono/RCA plug.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic