FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which is best for MI and MM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is best for MI and MM?
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:18am

I find myself in a position I am sure many of you have been in, your comments and advice are very welcome.

I have spent a few days reading various threads on the forum and am down to a choice of three MM phono stages which are the Reflex M, the Accession with the 3rd choice being stick with what I have. 

I like the Accession’s volume control as the idea of a pure analogue listening room appeals to me, I could then use my preamp in a multiformat system in another room.                                            

The EQ settings are a nice touch but I am not sure if they are important enough to me (I am lazy, getting out of my chair to flip sides is enough exercise these days).                                              

The price difference is not enough to sway the decision.

After reading various reviews I still do not have a good feel for the sound differences between the two…

My listening is done on LP’s from the 50’s to the present day. I listen most to blues, rock, soul, northern soul, jazz and classical music, sometimes all in one day!                                                

I currently use a tubed phono stage, actually I have always used tubes so moving to SS is a big deal simply because it’s an unknown factor!                                                                                     

Most of the time I use a London Decca Super Gold and Goldring 1042 cartridge, occasionally a Denon 102.

Which way would you jump?

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:23am
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.
You can easily decide courtesy of the loan scheme, try both of them at home in your own system. What other manufacturer offers that?
Not sure what the current status of the UK scheme is as Jon who has been the co-ordinator is looking to pass the task to someone else.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:24pm
Hello Ian, many thanks for the advice.
I live in Malaysia so the loaner program will not work for me.
I see i need to work on my profile and font size!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:48pm
Hi Paul,
Sorry didn't spot your location. That's a pity as the loan scheme doesn't yet cover Malaysia as far as I know.
The difference between the Reflex M and Accession M is more than subtle. The Accession brings out quite a lot more detail with a remarkable smoothness. It also manages to retain what is one of Grahams "trademarks" that of presenting a dark, quiet background and not exaggerating the "pops and crackles". this feature is evident on all Grahams phonos that I have heard including the humble Genera. I have the Genera, Fanfare and currently run the Reflex M, but hope to upgrade to the Accession in the near future.
I'm sure others here will make their opinions known soon.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:14pm
Hello Ian
I am about to finish reading the Genera thread...which took a while...
I think i can safely say i will not go the diy route, my hands are not steady enough these days.

More detail and smoothness are certainly plus points to me! Yes! 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:40pm
would follow Ian's sound advice on this. Don't know what you are currently using as your third option but the Access MM appears the one your go with if cost isn't a factor and the EQ may benefit some of your 50s vinyl. 
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

would follow Ian's sound advice on this. Don't know what you are currently using as your third option but the Access MM appears the one your go with if cost isn't a factor and the EQ may benefit some of your 50s vinyl. 

Hello Richard
I am currently using a compactron / 12AU7 tubed based phono stage. It has loading plugs for the MM compactron side and a 5 position loading selector for the 12AU7 MM side, it also has a gain control. 
I rarely use MC cartridges so the Accession sounds like the perfect SS (MM) version of what i have.

This will be my last (haha) phono stage and it fits my budget, i think i am convinced, that was fast!

Cheers!
No Music, No Life!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic