FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Sheffield, UK.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:04pm
Thanks again John and good to hear 'your journey'.

Fully agree with ......'Ultimately tho, we are all possessed with unique ears and sensory experiences. I always trust my own senses as to what's working or not, there's a fierce critical and questioning aspect to my character. A blessing and a curse as these things usually are. It's about knowing when to sit back an enjoy music and forget about the gear once you find the Big Smiles. Big smile'

I agree with the thought process on the Enigma & Cable but whilst finding this Enigma marginally different on the A MM to the standard PSU couldn't honestly say it was any better overall (I documented my experiences on another thread).  It was superior on the A MC I loaned but not (yet!!) invested in.

Look forward to hearing further experiences of your journey again.
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:35pm
Thanks Richard, 

Funny thing about, particularly vinyl is the pursuit of improving audio performance can in actuality become a fools errand. 

As we climb into higher performance, something very easily overlooked is what we then begin to hear. 

Imperfections in the condition of vinyl can become more obvious. But more importantly and not always welcome is that we are suddenly aware of poor studio recordings and mastering. This can lead to some disappointing realisations, removing pleasure from music we once enjoyed for itself now has flaws exposed by a revealing high quality setup. 

Sometimes less is indeed more, and pusuit of High fidelity doesn't always deliver what was so highly sought after. The price of perfection is revealed in imperfection. Ermm

So perhaps the lesson is not to take things for granted and to really appreciate what one has at any given time, even if ones stereo system relatively straightforward. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:05pm
I must admit I have moved down the more is more track. In my experiences good gear should be more revealing but not at the expense of imperfections. 

Good example during my Acc MC loan I recall noting that some second hand records sounded less second hand than with the AMM & enigma

If something sounds too revealing is it to analytical or sterilise or likely more forward in the irritation hearing range.  A generally good Origin live platter mat did boot the upper vocal range AND surface noise quite considerably by way of one example.

Edited by Richardl60 - 07 Jun 2019 at 10:44pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:37pm
Thanks for joining our community John and starting a really good discussion. Richard, your point "some second hand records sounded less second hand" is right on the money. It's not just the ones I have bought and cleaned, many of my old LP's just sound less damaged and more listenable with the AccMC.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Richard, your point "some second hand records sounded less second hand" is right on the money. It's not just the ones I have bought and cleaned, many of my old LP's just sound less damaged and more listenable with the AccMC.

Thanks Jon, This point that you and Richard make specifically regarding the AccMC is really quite an accomplishment and very interesting. A Major benefit as most of us have, inevitably a lot of 'Old' records. Even if some, like myself are, at least for the time being, in the MM field only. Perhaps when I get through my current TT project..... Another will come along which opens the door to take a look at MC? LOL 

As if I don't have enough on my plate..

Richard, I had a similar experience with the OL mat, you described it well. It led to another protracted process of arm adjustments to get a fully balanced sound. But I would say it was worth the time spent. Probably just issue that as a warning that some arm adjustment may be required to extract the ultimate level of performance. Depending upon turntable, arm and cartridge, YMMV. 

Edited by John1479 - 08 Jun 2019 at 12:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
I did post detailed mat findings on another’s thread and ended up with a Blue Horizon mat on my TT.  This did provide the best of all worlds in my set up.  Since my arm has easy VTA adjustment I could at least keep this set up to reflect the mats on test.

Thanks again 
John1479 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John1479 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:56pm
I consider platter mats in the same way as cables. As tuning devices. In that, it can be fair to claim any identical system components will not sound identical in different rooms and with different placement and supports/stands. 

A turntable will present a different sound dependent upon how it is supported. Therefore the performance of any mat will be determined by a number of unique factors. 

In the past, I would read a gushing review and buy into it with high expectations. Then finding, after a couple of weeks, that returning to my original mat was like pulling on a pair of comfy shoes. Big smile

The next mat on my list is to try is the Trans-Fi 'Reso-Mat'. 

Any users with experience or opinions to offer? 

Edited by John1479 - 09 Jun 2019 at 6:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic