FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Help selecting Headphones...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RichardSwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help selecting Headphones...
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:02pm
Forgive me, but I am a newbie on this site, and not very IT savvy.....

I have just acquired the Accession MC phono amp and the Solo Ultra-Linear DE Headphone amp, and am super-impressed.  Of course, this has exposed massive weaknesses in my existing old and cheap headphones, so the next stage of my high-end journey is new headphones....

I would welcome all recommendations to down-select some for trial.  I am open to consider both open-back and closed-back headphones, and would welcome thoughts on which is better.

As to budget, I would consider over £1000......

Some potentials are as follows, but I am very open to other suggestions.

Audeze LCD2 or LCD3
Focal Clear (any experience of Focal Stelia?  Probably outside my budget, but how good are they?)
Fostex (maybe TH 900 Mk 2?)
Grado GS1000e Statement or PS1000e Professional?

All help gratefully received....

many thanks,

Richard
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:10pm
Hi Richard,
I can't comment on the headphones on your list as I haven't heard them, but if you're spending
over £1000 you must give the black Sennheiser HD800S a listen.
They are quite 'vivid' sounding with tremendous detail, dynamics & scale on a good recording.
They also sound involving at low levels.
The silver HD800 are worth a listen too - but are a bit brighter with slightly less well defined bass.

Should also mention the old HD540 ref 2 which are also excellent - worth seeking out used.

All these are open back & can be heard by anyone else in the room depending on volume level.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:59pm
Much obliged indeed....

I shall add these to the list.  I see that the HD800S are supplied with an XLR4 balanced cable.  Is it possible to convert or adapt this to a standard 6.35mm jack, and not lose quality?

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 2:12pm
You're welcome Smile.
I haven't investigated the '800's balanced connection as they're also supplied with a standard 6.3mm jack plug.
I seem to recall reading in a review somewhere that the jack connection was preferred over the balanced for sound quality.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:28am
hi Richard,
   I concur with Rich that you’ve got to at least try the HD800S. My personal feeling was that they were more to my taste than the HD800. I use the Focal Elear with my Solo ULDE and I’m extremely happy. I stepped up from the HD600 and I think they’re a big, big leap ahead. 

I also run a Ch**d M**o for laptop listening, and I can safely say the ULDE extracts a great deal more from them. A terrific pairing!

I tried the Clear and didn’t think they were worth the extra spend, though. I’d love to get my grubby mitts on the Utopia! 
Happy hunting! 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:42am
Hi Mick,
Most grateful for your thoughts.  Clearly I need to add the Sennheisers to my list.  Also, interested in your comments on the Focal Elear compared with the Clear......  I have a good budget, but there is no sense in spending money unnecessarily.....

For all based in UK who may read this post, I found what appears to be a great headphone dealer, assuming they actually have all of these headphones in stock.....  May have to pay them a visit....

Thanks, Mick....

best
Richard
Origin Live Sovereign, Origin Live Enterprise (12"), Lyra Kleos, Accession MC, Solo Ultra Linear DE
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:36pm
I’m not sure how prices compare for you. Here in Australia the Elear can be had for $1,000. The Clear is more than double at $2,199. It’s very obviously a better headphone than the Elear, especially if you want the extra midrange clarity and evenness of response.
The HD800S is $1,895 and does the resolving Sennheiser thing brilliantly. It’s truly wonderful.  However, I really enjoy the Focal sound.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic