FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Home Trial - Initial Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by Pwog Pwog wrote:

A note to Graham: The home audition program is brilliant! Thank you for offering it. This has been my best audio shopping/listening experience ever! To be able to listen to a component on the system that I listen to, in the room I listen to it in, as I said, is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you, Sir.

If you've had the best listening experience ever then I've been doing my job right.

A tip regarding comparisons: as you know the Reflex M by now, stop listening with it and spend the rest of the time with the Accession bar a few hours. Then, swap back to the Reflex M and have a few hours with it. I think you will then know which is the way to go.

Thanks Graham. I was wondering, the recommended load capacitance for my cartridge is 150 - 300 pF. I don’t know about my tone arm/ arm cable. How would you go about figuring the dip switch settings?
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:21am
DIP: 100 pF.

Usually the arm wiring + arm cable contributes another 100 pF.

This will match that of the Reflex M set-up.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

A tip regarding comparisons: as you know the Reflex M by now, stop listening with it and spend the rest of the time with the Accession bar a few hours. Then, swap back to the Reflex M and have a few hours with it. I think you will then know which is the way to go.

Thanks Graham! You were spot on with your suggestion. After listening (and loving) the Reflex M I switched to the Accession and listened for a couple hours. I then switched back and played the same music through the Reflex.

The Accession wins! I heard the difference almost immediately! I heard more space around individual instruments and vocals with a more refined ability to hear where the instruments were positioned within the sound stage.

What impressed me the most was the difference in the clarity and tonality of individual instruments in the music. I guess I would say uncolored, to borrow a term used by audio reviewers; more natural. They sounded like they're supposed to sound.

When I first started to compare the Reflex with the Accession, I didn't think the Accession would sound better than the Reflex in my system, but I was wrong. I have never been more satisfied with the sound coming through my system, as it was playing through the Accession.

I would like to thank Bruce Kohl for facilitating my loaner experience and, of course Graham for allowing the loaner program to exist.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:08pm
Your description of the Accession's particular strengths is spot on Paul. Smile

Edited by RichW - 18 Jul 2019 at 1:12pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Your description of the Accession's particular strengths is spot on Paul. Smile

Thanks Rich! I was wondering if people would be able to pick up what I was putting down. I find it a challenge to put what I'm hearing into words.
Paul
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 3:07pm
yes spot on with me too. You can only use words to describe what YOU hear albeit we appear to be all hearing the same things but with different words. There is no right or wrong answer but naturalness is a key aspect and something I always value for in any component or change. 

Good luck with your purchase!

Edited by Richardl60 - 18 Jul 2019 at 3:08pm
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

yes spot on with me too. You can only use words to describe what YOU hear albeit we appear to be all hearing the same things but with different words. There is no right or wrong answer but naturalness is a key aspect and something I always value for in any component or change. 

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks Richard. I’ll be placing my order soon. Can’t wait, as now that I’ve returned my loaners, my vinyl just doesn’t sound as good.Cry
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic