FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Home Trial - Initial Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Trial - Initial Impressions
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:34pm
Hello All,

I currently have the privilege of auditioning the Era Gold V, Reflex M and Accession M in my system. I also have a pair of CuSat50 and Lautus interconnects.

Here are my initial impressions:

Era Gold V: 

I noticed a difference right away from the upgraded phono stage built in to my SCA-35. I hope the following makes sense. 

Everything that I have played seems more musical; tighter timing, more space around instruments and vocals and crisp, clear sound. 

Reflex M:

OMG! What a difference! My system SINGS! With out a doubt, the Reflex M has my system sounding the best it ever has. The sound stage is so much better defined and my speakers disappear. With the Era Gold V, as stated above, I noticed a difference immediately. With the Reflex M, although noticing a difference immediately, the difference was not subtle! I was blown away how much better my favorite reference albums sounded. I wasn't expecting such a difference. My wife said, "it's like hearing this music for the first time." I think the Reflex M should come with a warning - Warning, danger of severe sleep loss due to extended listening periods!

I've only been listening to the Reflex M for about two weeks and I plan on listening a lot more before connecting the Accession M.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:16pm
I have owned all three so pleased you have found the graduated improvement for the first two so far and is always interesting to hear how the stages compare with other or integrated phono stages - the main thing I recall over the Era Gold was the much wider soundstage though found the general benefits more subtle than you have ... will look forward to your findings with the Accession M; enjoy the Reflex M (while you can!).
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 2:45pm
So, I have been comparing the Reflex M with the Accession M over the last few weeks.

As I said above, the Reflex M makes my system, which I think sounds amazing without the Reflex, sounds as satisfying as I have ever heard it! I think the addition of the Reflex M to my system would satisfy me enough that I would finally be finished trying to tweak better sound out of it.

After I started to listen to the Accession M in my system, I noticed a bit more detail on some recordings over the Reflex, but I can't decide whether or not to purchase the Reflex or the Accession. I find trying to A/B test the two to be difficult. I have both powered up, but still have to switch interconnects to audition one or the other. I am using a pair of CuSat50s for both units. Then of course I have been playing with the loading dip switches and the EQ, which adds another level of variables.

I have them for another week or so. I would welcome any recommendations from the more "seasoned" Slee aficionados.

A note to Graham: The home audition program is brilliant! Thank you for offering it. This has been my best audio shopping/listening experience ever! To be able to listen to a component on the system that I listen to, in the room I listen to it in, as I said, is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you, Sir.

Edited by Pwog - 10 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:23pm
Hi Paul,
The Reflex M sets a very high standard indeed & I remember hearing the improvement
it made over the already very decent Era Gold V as soon as it was powered on when upgraded
some years ago. 
I still run a ReflexM with a second deck & still find its sound deeply impressive.

It sounds like the Reflex has made the biggest impression on you - give it another week
and go for the Reflex if the Accession's charms don't wow you as much.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:38pm
Thanks for the reply Rich. I agree the Reflex really lifted the bar after auditioning the, also very musical Era Gold. Although, I am on the fence sonically between the Reflex and Accession, I really like the volume knob on the Accession, as I plan to start recording my vinyl. I do have an old Mackie board that I was going to use for recording, to be able to control the input volume during recording. I also like the black case option. I know neither is a factor in the sonics, but do warrant consideration.
Paul
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:55pm
you can only decide with you own ears and agree with what RichW says. Whether using an elevator/ MC magnifiers the differences I cannot say...
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Pwog Pwog wrote:

A note to Graham: The home audition program is brilliant! Thank you for offering it. This has been my best audio shopping/listening experience ever! To be able to listen to a component on the system that I listen to, in the room I listen to it in, as I said, is BRILLIANT!!! Thank you, Sir.

If you've had the best listening experience ever then I've been doing my job right.

A tip regarding comparisons: as you know the Reflex M by now, stop listening with it and spend the rest of the time with the Accession bar a few hours. Then, swap back to the Reflex M and have a few hours with it. I think you will then know which is the way to go.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic