FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

EU EuP: The Shameful Truth!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EU EuP: The Shameful Truth!
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:15am
EU EuP: The Shameful Truth!

10 years ago I kicked and screamed about the injustice and hypocrisy of the EU's EuP regulations. But it also had the support of the Governator of California, and let's face it, nobody in a position of power ever listens to little me, nor ever will.

The picture above shows World's Strongman winner Eddie Hall deadlifting half a tonne.

A return flight, UK to Spain, generates just over half a tonne of CO2 PER PERSON according to a BBC report aired yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48133365

A return flight, UK to South Africa, generates the same CO2 as the energy used in a whole house for a full year - PER PERSON!

In my protests 10 years ago, I showed that if every man, woman, and child on this planet were given a linear wall-wart power supply (remember them? They have a transformer), and told to leave it plugged in 24/7 for a whole year, the energy wasted would only equate to that used by three jumbo jets flying return UK to New York.

I wasn't believed. Three jumbo jets surely wouldn't use that much energy! Would they? Well, yes they would. 7.5 billion wall-warts permanently on for a year!

The truth is now there to be seen. Let's say 200 passengers on a return flight to NY, and as it shows that's 1.52 tonnes of CO2 each! 304 tonnes of CO2! Even by my previous calculations I am in complete shock!

But politicians world-wide (not just in the UK) are seemingly so ignorant that they'd rather ban all the world's single DC voltage transformer power supplies, than tackle the real problem.

Labour politician Jack Straw and his French counterpart signed off the power supply ban, but left it so battery chargers could continue to use transformers! Quite big of you Mr Straw.

37.4 million jet flights a year! 3 jumbo jets worth equals all those power supplies. If we equate the 37.4 million flights to say 15 million jumbo jet flights, then air travel pollution is 5 million times bigger than all the now banned power supplies on planet earth!

So, Jack Straw tackled a 1/5,000,000 problem, inconveniencing manufacturers and their customers, making sound quality worse into the bargain, for what?

It's not even a token gesture! In fact it costs more in CO2 to manufacture the switched mode replacements. And when they stop working they cannot be recycled so they go into landfill - more plastics in landfill!

Then the hypocrisy of the EU is unbelievable, because they're now pushing for "the right to repair". Repair what?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46797396
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:30am
Some grass roots politicians are good and on the right track, but as they rise through the ranks many become more reliant on their advisers and only as good as that advice. That advice comes primarily from the civil service and their commissioned consultants, who may or may not be experts, often just opinionated interest groups.
Democracy was a great idea, until we let governments implement it.

Me, disgruntled?0 Perhaps I'm not the only one. Angry
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:25am
Do you mean like the unelected undemocratic civil servant/de-facto PM in charge of the UK: Sir Mark Sedwill?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:28am
One amongst the many "Sir Humphreys" that effectively develop and implement (their own) policies.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:01am
And now the truth is really out!

"Under the previous 80% scenario, aviation had a privileged position. Its expansion would be counter-balanced by additional CO2 cuts in other sectors, like industry."

In other words, you can have the convenience of more air travel, but high fidelity audio cannot be permitted!

Anyway, they're now looking at biomass air travel, and when they do that we'll all be living inside one massive stinky fart!
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:58pm
Given the influence of `Sir Humphrey` would such hypocrisy be any different in a UK free of EU shackles?
You don`t know. 
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:56am
At least they'd be our Sir Humphreys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic