FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Greetings from Cape Town

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from Cape Town
    Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:52pm
Hi All,

How easy is it to track down a mint condition, previously loved Graham Slee Solo with ULDE board and PSU1 at the southernmost tip of Africa..? The answer is not very...however, I've finally managed it and pulled the trigger yesterday with an upcountry seller.

I expect to receive it next week and patience isn't my strong suit, but very much looking forward to confirming for myself if the overwhelmingly positive feedback I've hoovered up online is indeed justified.

I suspect I shall be a very happy camper, since the Solo seems to align perfectly with my preferred tastes for a  "reference" sound signature.

I only recently got back into audio after a 20 some year hiatus, and just wasn't up for an analogue , speaker based system and all that that would entail. I simply don't have the space either. 

But I do have a desk in my Man Cave, and I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, so thus began my quest for a decent, cost effective headphone based system. 

This particular rabbit hole is slippery and deep... LOL

I shall of course post some impressions once Solo and I have had a chance to bond.

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:37pm
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll be delighted with the ULDE. It's good it's going to come with the PSU1 because that does make an appreciable difference!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:13am
Welcome! Nice to have another southern hemisphere member. I’ve had my ULDE for two weeks and it’s so good it’s getting hours of use every night. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:24pm
Thanks for the welcome Gents.
It's an understatement to say that I am eagerly awaiting the courier...

Looking forward to sharing my feedback shortly.
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:37pm
Update: I have not yet received the Solo... Angry

It would seem that the seller is in no hurry to ship, which is somewhat aggravating.
Amp was at a dealer on consignment sale, said dealership is 50km from the seller is the story.
At least I haven't paid for it yet.

End result: I wait for seller to pull finger... Stern Smile 
More when there is more to tell.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:35am
It has arrived! Clap

First impression? Damn, it's small...but beautiful!
Second order of business was to determine exactly which version I was buying...

The previous owner had no idea, save that it had been upgraded at some stage.
An email to the company with serial numbers and a few pics was very promptly and comprehensively responded to by Graham himself, late on Wednesday night. 
Quite exceptional customer service I must say, an absolute rarity in this day and age.
Thank you Graham for your personal touch.

Since then I have had further correspondence with John, who has provided additional information.

The amp was originally sold in 2009 as a SRGII and was upgraded to Ultra Linear (non DE) sometime thereafter. Apart from a few scratches on the underside it is in mint condition.

It has been powered on since I got it home, and I have managed to put in a good few hours of listening since then, although not nearly as much as I would have liked.

I shall be posting my detailed impressions as soon as I feel that the amp is performing optimally, and that I have had enough time with it to be able to get an accurate handle on what it is capable of.

Let me say this now though: I have owned (and still do) more than a few very capable headphone amps. This Ultra Linear is definitely something very special indeed...

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:23am
Excellent choice and thanks for joining us.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic