FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

You will need the rear of the arm screw-in counterweights to get it to balance out.

Not with the headshell that I suggested!

The standard counterweight goes all to the back, but no need ot the additional counterweight (which IS needed with the much heavier shell that comes with the PnP version of the cartridge).
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

(which IS needed with the much heavier shell that comes with the PnP version of the cartridge).

Oh, that's why Embarrassed
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:40am
The what now?  

Will I need additional weights for the Technics arm?  Are these readily available?

Please forgive my silly questions guys.  Thanks for all the replies, I realise I'm an ignoramus!
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 11:42am
Ah, just read previous posts.

I'll work it out eventually....

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:13pm
What is it with this brand of turntable that everyone one seems to rave about.
I have had this nagging thing in my head about getting one myself for a long time (and it just won't go away) I can remember them back in my old disco days (showing my age) when most DJs had them. this is why "I think" I wont one. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:36pm
I always thought they must be substandard, but that was before I started to lose my arrogance Wink

I eventually bought one of the SL1200 MkII's and realised how wrong I was. The arm can't be all that bad seeing it's (IMO) an Acos Lustre as originally fitted to the Rega Planar 3 (in the 70s), but the Technics has the removable headshell.

The "motor board" is quite hefty and isn't easily upset by vibration. The drive doesn't cog, and is pretty smooth.

The SL1200 MkII does good bass, if not a tad bright in upper midrange. It can also handle MCs such as the Hana EL quite well.

It was originally meant as a hi-fi turntable, but was adopted by disco in the wickywahwah era. Prior to that, we used Garard SP25's.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:49pm
It was Graham who encouraged me to listen to an SL1200 mkII and I bought one for £180. Great value, second only to the SL-7 that has taken its place. I went through the same thinking as LFC Jon, buying one made me realise what I had been ignoring from the Sl1210/II and direct drives generally. I have fitted 3 arms (including rewiring tte stock arm) on the 1210/II and all shone.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic