FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PHONO Stages.... Oh No.... help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
JohnnySH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnySH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:17pm
Thank you so much for you're feedback 

appreciated as always....

So this is the baby you would suggest VM740ML, which is amazingly the cheapest out of the 3 high end carts.

Yes the 2m Black is closer to one of my DJ night club pro II E carts level wise, very high gain and yes you are right! this will need a very well designed front end RIAA preamp

I know from the past few days the PH10 is NOT the phono stage for high gain carts, it a bit like a ravaging beast level wise, you just want to keep trying to attenuate the signal from the PH10 

But loving the feedback tonight , thank you so much

regards

woosh...... just seen the 2M Black specs wow serious levels from that baby....

BLACK

Tracking force 1.5gms

Weight 7gms

Vertical tracking angle 22degrees

Frequency response 20Hz - 20kHz

Channel separation 30dB

Tracking ability (300Hz)

lateral 90µm

vertical 45µm

lateral (1kHz) 23cms/sec.

Distortion (45µm)

lateral 1.2%

vertical 1.7%

Output (5cms/sec rms) 8.6mV

Edited by JohnnySH - 15 Apr 2019 at 10:21pm
Never give up looking for perfection, I don't!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:22pm
The 540ML and the 740ML are basically the same cartridge. With the 740 you get a prettier, heavier metal body vs. one with a plastic shell. For some people that may be a negative depending on the effective mass of your tonearm, so the lighter version of the cart may be preferable. 

What turntable/tonearm are you using?

JohnnySH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnySH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:31pm
thank you for your reply

I am planing to use a Technics SL1210 MK5G turntable, I know not the best audio phile turntable in the world, but it meets my requirements at the moment for the job in hand.

How does the VM540ML compare to my existing AT440MLB is it really much of an upgrade ??

I had it in my mind to get the best quality MM cart, i would need to be  spending over £500

Regards

Thanks for the review, just enjoyed a good read.........

If you are looking for a top-notch, daily-driver cartridge and $250 bucks is in your budget. Buy this cartridge, you won’t regret it. Sometimes, as the saying goes, “Less is more.” In this case though, a little bit extra gets you way more than you bargained for. The VM540ML is highly recommended.

Edited by JohnnySH - 15 Apr 2019 at 10:38pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by JohnnySH JohnnySH wrote:

thank you for your reply

I am planing to use a Technics SL1210 MK5G turntable, I know not the best audio phile turntable in the world, but it meets my requirements at the moment for the job in hand.

How does the VM540ML compare to my existing AT440MLB is it really much of an upgrade ??

I had it in my mind to get the best quality MM cart, i would need to be  spending over £500

Regards

Nothing wrong with that turntable, it's a good one. 

Re: the 540 vs. the 440, the 540 replaced the 440. There were some changes designed to mitigate the peaking in FR that the 440 had. Basically it was impossible to get a flat-ish response out of the 440 without non-standard loading as I mentioned above. With the 540 you get to track a little heavier (2g - lower compliance) and with a 100pf + 47K load and low capacitance cables running from the TT to the phono preamp you should be able to achieve a flat-ish response. Other than that the stylus profile and generator designs are very similar. 

RE: spending more, that is entirely up to you. You may find you get something "different", not "better" in all aspects. 
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 11:43pm
 Hi Johnny,
Don't kid on - you're being critical. Smile
Criticism about aesthetics is fine - the Gold Note does looks appealing in its way but is no Nagra Wink
How did you find the sound of the Accession?

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 12:34am
Bizarre how this odd thread turned into a cartridge query.
Disappointing that Johnny hardly mentioned the Accession's sonic capabilities
Free speech is wonderful & opinions should be expressed.
Come on mate speak up.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
JohnnySH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnySH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:16pm
Richy W

Yes free speech is wonderful, there was nothing odd about this thread, 

I was asking if anyone had an opinion on the gold note phone stage, I have now sampled the Assession and gold note.

The Accession did not blow be away sonically, to be honest was a little disappointed, may be my turntable or setup, but the build quality of the gold note was far superior, there is no denying that.

Found the Accession lacking bottom end and thin sounding, but i'm putting it down to my system not being matched ???

That said, the gold note did not tick all my boxes either, I have sent it back and have been in talks with the designers and pointed out a few of the weaknesses, they are going to work on a new version.

But  Richy W ...

Don't you kid on! everyone is entitled to their opinion! it's only my view and how I find it!

If the accession ticks all your boxes. I'm happy for you, that is the beauty of analogue audio, it is so subjective, what you find acceptable other people may not! 

You may have different standards or expectation, that's also the beauty of educated people talking about what they find and their experience. 

Everyone has their own standards of what they find acceptable for the hard earned money they spend. To be honest there are very few things in life I purchase, that I am truly happy with, there are substandards everywhere.

I must say my RME Purchase is one of the few items that I have been ultra happy with, german studio high end audio kit, some of the best quality DACs and ADs. Shame most things out there don't compare to RME!!

I'm still looking for a quality phono stage and will continue evaluating until I'm happy, next test will be the Cyrus Audio Signature and then the Pathos In The Groove.

Richy W, nothing bizzare about this thread talking about carts, it's called educated discussion.
Oh and yes I am critical about everything in life, no half measures! It's either done right or I am not interested  

Also considering the Nagra 500 cart too Smile

Edited by JohnnySH - 28 Apr 2019 at 3:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic