FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE + Majestic DAC review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo ULDE + Majestic DAC review
    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 7:34pm
I like the acoustic qualities of cardboard for nearfield listening. Low material mass means low capacity for absorbing and re-emitting sound energy in the bass region, as the box resonant frequency is shifted out of the region where most vibrational energy is available. As Jon once pointed out in another post, I personally like when the direct sound is dominant. I just want an extension of the air seal really, so that the driver can directly emit bass frequencies at higher amplitude without "wrap around" cancelling them out. Cardboard is easy to manipulate into shape and scatters sound waves more than timber.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Now't wrong wi 't cardboard boxes! When ar was a lad that's all I had!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:03pm
Yep, pretty much like that. I want Majestic into Proprius driving Alpair 11MS drivers in enclosures like that. That'll be end game for me I think. For absolute precision, I've got my MySphere 3.1 and hopefully in time its upscaled future successor.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
Like this, Ash?

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:42pm
The Proprius are superb as well. I recently sold my spare pair but will be keeping my original pair of Proprius for a single driver (per channel) speaker setup. Going to stick the drivers in cardboard boxes so they don't sound like box speakers. Would love to have spherical enclosures but not sure how I can do this yet.
Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:26pm
Well Ash, you can say you contributed to the final “push” I needed to bite the bullet and sort out my “dream setup” I’ve been planning for a while. 
If you hadn’t listed the DAC on here - I may not have pushed the button and ordered the Solo ULDE too..
I need to fix up the house this summer and that includes a dedicated listening room.. after that a pair of Proprii will be sourced, and I’ll probably mate those to a pair of PMC twenty 26’s - which in conjunction with the Majestic and Solo will make a nice musical setup. Source will be the Intel NUC unless I bite the bullet harder and get an Auralic Aries G1 as source. 
I can dust off the old Rega Planar II for vinyl and rescue my old broadcast quality early Toshiba CD player - which has a direct optical output - which I think might just work with the Majestic.
Having spent a significant amount of my life on a plane - I have just sold the iMod player and Voyager headphone amp that in conjunction with my Sony MDR-NC500D digital noise cancelling headphones or my Denon AH-D2000 headphones gave me the rest, peace and connection with home I often needed. 
The person who now has the iMod and Voyager is an Aussie on walkabout here in the UK - so I think they will do some more travelling yet. 
I think that Voyager did well over 500,000 air miles with me (long haul only) - so that might be some sort of record!! 
Anyway - a big thanks to you - the DAC is fine.
Thanks too to FatMan Golf who lent me the Bitzie to try last year - which just triggered my research even further..
And a specially big thanks to Graham and his team - for the “free design” encapsulated in his hardware..
I am certainly a fan.

Edited by Farmer - 02 Apr 2019 at 10:28pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Not too shabby eh. The Majestic and Solo ULDE are both fantastic products and deserve the highest praise. Who cares about the pomp of the hi-fi industry; all that really matters is scientific research applied to real life to produce practical items that serve a useful purpose. Graham Slee products are set and forget. If music enjoyment is your first priority then this can only be a good thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic