FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audio Technica AT VM95ML Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
neilb1906 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilb1906 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Technica AT VM95ML Cartridge
    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
I use this cart into a reflex M too.Then into a Naim Nait XS2. Brilliant combo. Great value cartridge.

I however use the ML stylus for most of my LPs, but find that the jazz stuff favours the SHibata stylus, that I also have.

N
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:11pm
Have a look on Discogs, there's a few people selling it new in the U.S for less than twenty dollars.

Edited by sheepskinstu - 25 Dec 2019 at 5:12pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Hi David,

I bought this cartridge and I'm very pleased with it so far. Surface noise seems fairly low even on quite worn but clean records. I picked up a copy of the Abbey Road remastered version of C'est Chic and it's a fantastic sound and a nice pressing. Worth checking out. 

Stuart

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm still using it as my daily driver cartridge months later. When the stylus wears out I'll likely buy a replacement and keep using it, even when I eventually upgrade my turntable. I've recommended the cartridge to a number of folks and everyone that's bought one has been very pleased. 

My copy of C'est Chic actually came from the $1 bin and is an old 70s Atlantic pressing mastered by Dennis King IIRC. Anything from that Abbey Road series is quite pricey over here in the U.S. most of the time, which is the main reason why I haven't tried one yet. I may try one down the line. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 4:42pm
Hi David,

I bought this cartridge and I'm very pleased with it so far. Surface noise seems fairly low even on quite worn but clean records. I picked up a copy of the Abbey Road remastered version of C'est Chic and it's a fantastic sound and a nice pressing. Worth checking out. 

Stuart
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:59pm
More subjective listening impressions of the VM95ML:

The Saints – (I’m) Stranded LP (U.S. Sire, 1977, mastered by Sterling)

Chic – C’est Chic LP (U.S. Atlantic, 1978, mastered by Dennis King)

The Psychedelic Furs – Talk Talk Talk LP (U.S. Columbia, 1981)

John Foxx – The Golden Section LP (U.K. Virgin, 1983, mastered by Townhouse)

First up is one of the one the best raw punk rock ‘n roll albums ever made IMHO. Probably a nightmare for the typical audiophile but I think it’s recorded quite well for the type of music we’re talking about here. The power of the record comes through and separation between instruments is about as well as you can expect.

Next up is a disco record featuring the famous Nile Rodgers on guitar. A lot of disco music frankly sounds quite dated to me these days but this particular album has held up pretty well IMHO. On a record like this I usually pay close attention to the basslines and drums and they are well produced and full sounding here, as are the vocals. My particularly copy is not in perfect shape (closer to VG than VG+) but the ML stylus does a surprisingly good job of not being too revealing of record damage on this LP. In my past experiences with ML styli they can cut both ways though, so don’t take this as a suggestion that ML styli are a cure for damaged records.

The next album is the sophomore LP from the Psychedelic Furs, just before they went in a more polished pop direction with slicker production. There is no mastering credit on my copy or deadwax signature, so I’m not sure who cut it. It is cut quite loud though definitely not among the loudest tier of 80s LPs I have. The cartridge handles everything well here with not a hint of IGD or excess sibilance.

Next up is an album of moody 80s synth pop, cut loud with narrow inner grooves. This is the type of record where lesser carts and styli start screwing things up IME, especially with the last two tracks on each side. The VM95ML tracks everything flawlessly, period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post edited by Graham Slee to remove formatting code garbage that was here. Tip: compose in a dumb ASCII text editor such as MS or similar notepad; format word-wrap off; select all; copy and past into form. Works a treat!

Edited by Graham Slee - 10 May 2019 at 4:54pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:10pm
Some more subjective impressions of the 95ML. 

Joe Pass/Synanon Seven - Sounds of Synanon LP - 1962 Pacific Jazz/RE Pure Pleasure 2008 - Mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman

Dr. Dre - 2001 Instrumentals 2xLP - 1999 Aftermath/Interscope

Oasis - Definitely Maybe 2xLP - 1994/RE Big Brother Rec. 2014 - Mastered by Ian Cooper @ Metropolis Mastering

The Joe Pass album sounds very good here. Bass is deep and smooth, the guitar melodies sound great, and the cymbals and high hats are extremely clear. Separation between instruments is well defined. The album is recorded and mastered very well so many carts probably do a good job with it. 

Next we have an instrumental version of a late 90s mainstream hip hop album. This is my preferred version of the album to listen to as the production is easier to hear unimpeded by any vocals. The bass drums hit hard, the melodies are funky, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything whatsoever. 

Now, how about a band synonymous with the loudness war? Frankly there is no audiophile approved version of this album but this one is done reasonably well and compares quite well to the original 1994 Creation CD IMHO. Guitars are loud and carts that have frequency dips in the mids and upper mids will falter and make everything sound like a muddy mess. With the VM95ML, you don't get that. You get a faithful rendering of a loud 90s rock 'n roll album with as much clarity between the instruments as can be expected on this type of recording.

Edited by patientot - 25 Dec 2019 at 4:58pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

I use the Hi-Fi news test LP, so the toughest test on it is a 300 Hz tone at a crazy +18dB.

That is insane. The two test records I have here are the CBS STR100 and the current version of the Ortofon Test LP. 

The instructions on the Ortofon just say that the toughest track is 315hz lateral @ 100um...they don't say what is in decibels. Perhaps there is a way to convert that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic