FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgraded to Ultra Linear!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

Aerosmith "Pump" LP, which is cut at -1/-0.5 dB peak and circa -13 dB RMS

Where did you derive such figures?
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:17pm
From needledrops on the Dynamic Range Database.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:16pm
So it's based on someone else' digital recording of a bit of vinyl?
I'd drop that as evidence of anything other than there's a signal of some sort .....

Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:30am
On average, I find that this database is rather reliable for understanding which recordings are hotter and which ones are softer (the numbers are consistent with what my ears say).

Between two albums with similar peak values, the one with lower rms always sounds lower in volume.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

That said, with my current headphones, I have NO complaints at all: between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock, my craving for ear-blasting volume is satisfied even on quiet recordings (albeit with a digital source or a MM cartridge with a high-ish output voltage level).

And my wife, who tested it today with a few CDs too, says I am crazy anyway and that she'll never feel the need to go beyond 11 o'clock. LOL

Wacko..I cannot push my ATH-900 much past 9 o'clock
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:16pm
The 900 was a very efficient headphone: it requires around 1/5th of the mW power of my Denons to reach a comparable sound pressure level, so that explains why it sounds louder indeed.  

Edited by Lucabeer - 14 Mar 2019 at 1:18pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
Years ago I made a voltage stage for a power amplifier which never got finished (client cancelled).

As it featured a constant current source designed to drive a hefty output stage I thought it wouldn't be too upset driving my 600 ohm senny's (via a DC blocking capacitor of course).

I remember to this day how nice it sounded. Obviously that was then and my expectations might (will) have changed.

To get the levels you require would require a power supply greater than op-amps are designed for, and that got me thinking of it.

I reckon with a decent output stage to buffer it you might find it loud enough, and that's why I considered adding a 1 to the 100 things...

But as I said, it could take a while.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic