FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Upgraded to Ultra Linear!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

The ultimate test for any music system... A great album, but an album with a congested and veiled mix. Definitely not as clean as "Selling England by the Pound". How will it fare?

Know it very well, and it's such a bad recording complete with mains hum. Very bright and brittle in places. The Chamber of 32 Doors has Gabriel's voice multitracked and can sound extremely brittle. The band members sound like they couldn't hack it (or Hackett...), probably because Gabriel was using it as his resignation from the band?

I use it as one of my test records and admit it's a challenge.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:24pm
Well, one thing is sure from this spin with the Solo UL: I had never heard Mike Rutherford's intricate playing stand out so well. It still isn't a perfectly mixed album, but again I feel more separation between instruments than ever.

Very enjoyable!
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:46pm
Today it's Peter Gabriel "Up" on SACD (with Oppo BDP-205D player).

I can definitely say that the bass with ULDE is much tighter, meaner and harder than with the 2009 SRG. And this is an album which heavily relies on its percussions ("Growing up" puts my headphones to the limit). Well done!

Edited by Lucabeer - 08 Mar 2019 at 5:47pm
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Today I have listened to some more music:

- Depeche Mode "Violator" and "Exciter" on SACD: wonderful, wonderful. I know these albums by heart, and the warmth WITH transparency brought by the Solo ULDE to them is absolutely stellar. Listen to those electronic drums and the vocals in Exciter!!!!!
- Rage Against the Machine S/T on SACD (Steve Hoffman remaster): raw, visceral music. Violent, nasty, meant to played at ear-shattering volumes. But still, in spite of this, it's a reference recording like few others. The ULDE impressed me in showing how such an angry, punkish and ripping album can still have finesse, dynamic sound (absolutely not the crappy compressed and congested digital loudness feast that many "hard"/metal albums usually are). Exciting to say the least. I am listening to it at high volumes, and it's aggressive, but never fatiguing: kudos to both Steve Hoffman for the mixing and to Graham for the amping.

Overall, after 4 days, I can reasonably say that the components in the upgrade have settled (I understand electronics burn-in, but I think that it doesn't take more than a couple of days in my experience).

And that said, I must say this ULDE upgrade was well worth it. Fantastic sounding headphone amp, that I would recommend to anyone. The ease of listening and dynamics are wonderful. After a couple of hours with the SRG, I would take a break. With the ULDE, I would like to go on listening.

I can really find only one suggestion to give to Graham for foture evolutions: I would like to have a little bit more gain on it. I don't plan to upgrade headphones soon, and if I will, it will be for the Bowers & Wilkins P9 which are even more efficient than my Denons. But I would like to have the freedom to try some less sensitive headphones sooner or later. I know... I listen to music at too loud levels, which are probably not safe on the long term. But I also drink a lot of single malt, beer and wine, and I smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars. I would like to choose my own weapon for hurting me instead of being "limited".

That said, with my current headphones, I have NO complaints at all: between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock, my craving for ear-blasting volume is satisfied even on quiet recordings (albeit with a digital source or a MM cartridge with a high-ish output voltage level).

And my wife, who tested it today with a few CDs too, says I am crazy anyway and that she'll never feel the need to go beyond 11 o'clock. LOL

Edited by Lucabeer - 09 Mar 2019 at 6:35pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

But I also drink a lot of single malt, beer and wine, and I smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars. I would like to choose my own weapon for hurting me instead of being "limited".

I can only manage cigarettes these days - all the other things on your list started making me very ill ... Wink

I will up the 100 things I want to do before I die list to 101 to include the desired headphone weapon just for you Wink

But it might take some time.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I will up the 100 things I want to do before I die list to 101 to include the desired headphone weapon just for you Wink

Joking aside, as a controls engineer, I perfectly understand that "more gain" (pushing the Bode diagram to the right) equals "less phase margin", and that electronics design is a compromise.

No hurry about that "gain improvement", then, if it means a compromise on sound quality.

Wink
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:00pm
Graham, just to give you an idea about the kind of "gain" improvement you might be considering...

1) Aerosmith "Pump" LP, which is cut at -1/-0.5 dB peak and circa -13 dB RMS. Played with Nagaoka MP-500 cartridge (declared as 3 mV output, so quite low), into Reflex M (41 dB gain), into Solo Ultra Linear DE, with Denon AH-D7000 cans (effective sensitivity: circa 99 dB/mW). To be listening at my desired (loud) SPL, I have to crank the Solo to 4 o'clock position. And it's fine for me.

2) Sinatra "Swinging Session" LP, cut at -2/-3 dB peak and circa -20 dB RMS. Same configuration as above. With this album, I have the Solo volume maxed out to 5 o'clock, and it's satisfying... but at the same time it's a bit worrying because I have no headroom left in case I wanted to use less efficient headphones.

Of course, I could use my Ortofon 2M Black which has a much higher output... but with jazz the Nagaoka is SO SWEET. So you see that the "problem" only comes out with albums which are cut quite low (-20 dB RMS) AND when using a lowish output MM cartridge such as the wonderful Nagaokas.

No problems with CDs of course.

So one alternative could be having more gain in a theoretical Solo UL+: let's say ten times the rated output for the rated input it has now. The other could be having a "Reflex M+" which does something like 48 dB gain (but then again, it might saturate and clip with hot cartridges?).

Food for thought enough?

Edited by Lucabeer - 13 Mar 2019 at 9:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic