FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member/Old Topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:58am
Well, "they" reckon it's THE quietist kit amp built! https://www.altronics.com.au/p/k5125-20w-class-a-amplifier-full-kit/ I have done a few of their Projects, learned a little bit here and there... With a decent [I like it! Goot RX-711 Soldering Station + extra tips for fine stuff] makes soldering a pleasurable past-time. I'll have to wait a bit longer as the UPS didn't come through with their "Expect it tomorrow" email they sent yesterday.. I hate 'having' to stay home all day to sign for what they say IS coming... and it doesn't. Unhappy Ah well, not the first time and won't be the last.. Also invested in a new [second hand but great cond!] Amp from Rotel.. a big one. Should be better than my Integrated with Tuner big Yamaha. Back to having separates [pre and power]. I am sure that when my two books get here and I start to soak up some things, my queries may be more interesting... at least! Well, here's hoping!  https://www.altronics.com.au/p/k5513-preamp-riaa-shortform-kit/ another Silicon Chip magazine project I have done and am "sure" it could be given some reworking [nothing too drastic] to really shine! Interesting way to use op-amps... http://diyaudioprojects.com/Chip/Phono-Preamp-Kit/  I am keen to hear what You think of this design, Graham.?? 
 You mention above about biasing an op-amp..! Could you Please expand upon this or point me to somewhere you may have already done so..? Greatly appreciated! Thumbs UpCool  
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:03pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:51pm
Thank you very much for that link Graham. I read that section and more, safely saved for future learning.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:35am
Fatmangolf said: I read that section and more, safely saved for future learning.

And I agree entirely! Wow! What a book! I hope they made it a little larger print than when you print some pages off for study later...talk about "the fine print"! I suppose they can pack more in, though.. 
 Monday's aren't bad when they deliver your parcel that they should've on Friday... Oh Dear, what a Friday THAT turned out to be.. Didn't get to find out the tragedy until about 5pm.. My heart goes out to the many people affected by the horrendous acts of one man(?). Senseless loss of precious life... so sad.   
 Now I can go and unpack and study my little kit! I was going to try out some new Kester "44" Rosin Core [i'm a Multicore type after it's what my dad used in the shop and I got used to it..?] Always on the lookout for some nice wetting/finish solder! You want to do the job Properly! after all!! Wink  No excuse not to have good solder joints. Lessen's problems later on.. 
Now, I wonder where those Book's I ordered are...? 
Getting back to that [also individual Section download from: https://www.analog.com/en/education/education-library/op-amp-applications-handbook.html] where the "constant velocity cutting head" is at the very core of the difficulty of extracting from those information-full-grooves "either" exactly what what put there OR Deciphering what was put there INTO what we want to hear when we play our records. Is it just a case of "reverse technology" to get everything from the groove that we put there? To look at it.. it's not very "High Tech" is it!? So, why haven't we been able to "get it" High Tech? Can't we initiate technology we have to do this in a better way? We are only dressing up the horse and cart we have been using for ages. The mechanical analog way has to be preserved but, can't we update it? Somehow? 
Seems like a place to start...    

DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 2:38am
Hey Graham, you've seen this before..? surely... I found this when looking for guitar stomp box chips I could try... https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/lt1115fa.pdf  its just that "this" particular one had my other love included - HiFi ! 
I'll get back to my Kit now!... See! Kit building is theraputic! Thanks Doc! 
Steve. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:11am
Steve, I'm sure all these alleged hi-fi buffs think I'm just a dim new kid on the block, or their impression of a thick Yorkshireman...

Yes, seen it. I don't know if LT were pandering to the hi-fi loons or if they invented the idea and the loons followed, but if you want a class-A (such an over abused description, yawn) then make one, and don't screw-up an already messed-up class B stage, by trying to defeat it in such a techy way.

Yes, Jung said you need a buffer to drive the EQ, but I think he meant a stable one. The excuse for the 499 ohm resistor will be to preserve the Neumman curve, which was news to Neumman...

I tried describing it as something similar but stood corrected a long time ago. Actually the padding resistor guards against instability, so why bother with the buffer? I think most are obsolete by now.

I think all the pretence about alleged hi-fi techniques ought to be exposed for the myth it all is. Just model-in every single parasitic there really is to any circuit and see the absolute garbage that comes out.

What works is what some poor sod slaved over for months or years until he found a sticking plaster large enough to cover the imperfections his work revealed, and luckily it sounded good enough to save his bacon.

All the rest is people living in dreamland. Just my opinion of course. Wink

Edited by Graham Slee - 18 Mar 2019 at 8:13am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 1:43am
Graham said: "Steve, I'm sure all these alleged hi-fi buffs think I'm just a dim new kid on the block,.." 

Well Graham, I am not concerned with what ANY "alleged hi-fi buff" says...however, I am very interested in your opinion of circuits like that ONLY because I feel I can learn something from your answer about them. I'm sorry if I give the persona of someone trying to insult you because I do NOT wish to do that at all. Please don't feel annoyed with me and my ignorance... I am just trying to learn to recognize the different aspects of RIAA design and to learn if possible the "right" way to do it. Clap 
So, I have come to you, to build one of your very successful designs and learn what I can from it. I am sure that when you put the Genera into a kit form, that you had to "do things a certain way" because it was a Kit that you had to rely on someone you don't know to put together 'properly'! Such that they couldn't 'make' any mistakes. Now, what things did you have to "change" because you couldn't have any control over how well your Kit was put together? I think I remember reading that the "finding the exact resistances" wasn't necessary... but, what CAN we do to make it the BEST it could get! This is my next question! Like, for instance, the cap over C9... Things like these and "why" you would do that..? My Art of Electronics should be here early this week, so I am looking forward to that! Maybe there is a chapter I should be reading First that may not be Ch.1??  I appreciate your putting up with idiots like me that "may eventually" get to know something useful! ThankYou! 
Kind Regards,
DogBox 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic