FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member/Old Topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:30am
Ok, "away from the bluster" and on with the show! 

Now having graduated the Genera test using the biggest capacitors I could fit on the PCB; all turned out pretty swell! My music sounds much better but now something has happened to my ears OR my stereo.. Doesn't have that "air" it had before... Because of better [proper!] interconnects..?? Am I getting 'used to it'..?? 
  Well, going to try a LOMC cartridge. I have an Ortofon MC 15 Super III and am getting a Benz Ace - the low output Red version (0.4mV), the Ortofon 0.34mV. Looks like I'll have to give the Genera some Help OR also get a SUT or something appropriate to let these cartridges do their thing, in the Quest for an 'upgrade' further up the ladder of bliss! 
 Could someone offer some advice on the best way to go? Without having to shell out even 'more' money I haven't got..? 

And i'm not too clever electronically so the K.I.S.S. principle applies for me... Ask Graham, he'll tell you! 

DogBox   
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:03am
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/phono-preamp-pt2-mc_topic1459_page9.html

Schematic at the bottom of the page looks like what you are asking for here.
Tony G
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:15am
"Truly great audio components never happen by accident: if a given designer/company produces one exceptionally great component, it doesn’t take any exceptional leap of faith to suspect that they know what they’re doing" - from an upcoming review.

So, in your wisdom you've altered the design - you've "graduated it".

Now asking for help to make things better elsewhere?

Without a reference (which you had) you will end up going around in ever decreasing circles, never being able to get what you want.

Added to that I gave away a great (but simple) way of enabling you to use an MC cartridge with your Genera, but it would seem you've chosen to ignore that.

I feel you're not going to get any useful answers because it can be seen that you're willing to ignore expert advice, or are perhaps confused, and perhaps thinking the fountain of knowledge comes from amateur magazines/all over the net? There is a reason for particular circuits appearing in amateur magazines and internet, which might well be touted as the best thing since..., but they're there because they don't make it at a professional level.

Nobody gives away a proper design, except me perhaps.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:55am
Yes Graham, you're right again. Something makes me chase my tail and frustration could well be "it" because I simply don't know enough about electronics. I just have to face that I never will. 

You have been extremely Kind and Very Generous! Please do not think I don't appreciate it!.. even if I am not worthy of it. You're a terrific bloke! 

I didn't ignore your diagram - I just didn't know it was there... Sorry. 

I have access to the fountain of knowledge as I actually purchased the Art of electronics you talked about and if it wasn't for Professional people like yourself - the magazines wouldn't have anything to fill their pages. Let's hope they don't go to china to look for new material... :o 

I hang my head in shame once again. 

Steve
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:08am
No, you shouldn't hang your head in shame. This I hope is a learning experience, and that is what I want to share with those who appreciate it.

I can understand, and even feel your frustration, because I was there, albeit 45 years or so ago.

And what bugs me about the magazines is there is no enthusiasm to teach anymore, because I'll tell you I'd rather get the understanding that can be gleaned from such as Ray Marston (Nuts and Volts) than trudge through the Art of Electronics for a more lengthy explanation. Yes, sometimes an old-hand can forget.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:30pm
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Yep, that should keep me out of your hair for a good while. Lets hope something might sink in... 
I have a few days before the MJE243G arrives from Farnell (Element14 in Oz) ...bye.. 
Thanks for the links 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic