FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Where do you buy your classical records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:46pm
I have used Musicstack, Discogs, ebay (though rarely these days), http://classicrecords.co.uk/
http://www.hornet.hr/HRec.asp
and recently Presto Classical.
Have also bought bulk lots through the classifieds on a local audio forum.

Edited by tg - 05 Apr 2019 at 4:50pm
Tony G
LeviZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeviZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:42pm
https://www.musicdirect.com/ in US, current listing for classical < 600, so heavily concentrated on audiophile collections.  
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:15am
In Canada, there's an online shop called The Diamond Groove that stocks quite a few Analogue Productions, ORG, Speaker's Corner etc classical records. I mostly get mine there. However, I just found out the owner is retiring, but he has stock left to sell.
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:46am
Like patientot, I do not have trouble finding "classical" LPs at used record stores (and there are many stores in my area). Pretty much every shop I enter has more rock than anything else, and often stores are light on the classical (a bin or two), but these same stores might undervalue the classical stock they do have.

Ex, I recently squatted on the floor of a shop to dig out - of a closed lower cabinet - a "Gotterdammerung," all 12 sides pristine, for $3. (Granted it's a 1972 reissue of a 1967 Decca recording but still, .25 per side.) And a great cast, and all the delicious liner notes.

Mitch
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:10am
There are some fantastic sellers of classical stuff (however loosely defined) at bargain prices on Discogs. From my recent experience, I'd recommend (at least) these:

http://https://www.discogs.com/user/london-classical

All have delivered multiple LP titles in quality at least as good as listings, often better - and sometimes at frankly silly prices... Wink

And an extra nod for this charity seller, where I've picked up some particularly great stuff in a very worthy cause:

FYO - I mostly buy baroque and 20thC stuff, with a particular emphasis on chamber music (esp. string quartets). The combination of Discogs prices and a decent RCM is unbeatable IMLTHO - oh, and an Accession helps as well... Wink

The other factor to bear in mind is that (at least until the "triumph" of digital recording and CD from the mid-1980s onwards), all classical vinyl was almost invariably better manufactured and looked after than its equivalents in other genres. If I could find 50s and 60s jazz LPs that were as well cared for as their classical equivalents, I'd be an even happier bunny...

kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:46pm
Lots of great suggestions.  Believe it or not you can also find plenty of reissues and newer releases on Amazon.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:36pm
I tend to use discogs for analogue recorded classical but stick to CD for digital recordings.  I guess newer High Res formats might transfer well onto analogue but I struggle to see how a recording that was made for CD is going to sound better on vinyl.  Am I missing something?

I'm certainly finding a lot of classical CDs at peanuts prices on eBay etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic