FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Where do you buy your classical records?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Silence_Kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence_Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do you buy your classical records?
    Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 2:27am
I enjoyed seeing everyone's recommendations of great classical records in another thread. I'd like to start building a collection, but I haven't had much luck finding classical records in good condition at my local record stores. The shops I frequent specialize in rock and jazz. Classical tends to be an afterthought, and it shows, as most of the records are scratched-up copies in worn sleeves.

Where do you all shop for classical music on vinyl? Have you had good luck on Discogs or eBay? I always prefer to shop local, but unless you live in a major city with a specialized record store for the genre, it seems hard to find much worth bringing home.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 11:39am
Finding good classical records in local shops is very difficult as you say.
Many of mine were family hand-downs, job-lots bought from hifi dealers and from forums.
(Phil on this forum has supplied some very good ones).
Charity shops also have the occasional gem.

On-line dealers to look at are Diverse Vinyl & EIL. EIL's prices can be a bit high but all the 
records I've bought have been good quality.
No doubt there are other on-line sources.
Hi-Q records classical re-issues are worth looking for & are generally available.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
I have used Diverse a few times and seem very helpful; have just tried ordering Bob's Jazz Jamaica Allstars on vinyl through them and whilst out of stock very helpful (albeit not classical).
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 4:48pm
@Silence_Kit, are you in the U.S.? In any case, I pretty much only dabble in classical music and have not had too much trouble finding it on vinyl. You are right that many shops won't stock it extensively because most customers want "rock" and such. One thing you might try is talking to the shop owner. IME sometimes they will hold back the nicer classical records and only sell them online, or only sell them to customers that ask for them. They might also know a shop that has a more extensive collection of classical vinyl.

The other thing is that the audiophile reissue market offers classical records with higher quality pressings if you want to shell out the money. Usually these records start at $35 and up, with some labels pressing records that are quite limited and expensive. I know Analogue Productions did a bunch of Living Stereo reissues and some others and the general feedback I've read on those has been good but I've also heard of some buyers reporting quality control issues that we are all experiencing with a lot of new vinyl. 
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 7:53pm
Elusive Disc in the US. Postage can be a bit pricey if you’re in another country, but you just have to buy a big enough batch of records to bring down the cost per LP...
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:14pm
Elusive Disc is probably my favorite shop to buy audiophile vinyl from no matter the genre. I had some problems with some defective pressings and a situation where the postal service screwed up and they took care of me. Some shops are very squirrelly about providing good service when something goes wrong but they came through for me. 
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:05am
I have had good luck recently on Discogs. Other than that I use Music Direct, Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic