FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Belt cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt cleaning
    Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:52am
I recently cleaned the the drive belt, along with the pulley & sub platter on my Roksan, with Pledge.
Regrettably this had not been done before.
The deck had lost some of its 'grip', drive, bass depth & resolution & was being played less often
over recent weeks..

A few minutes spent cleaning has restored the Roksan to its best  - in fact I don't think it has sounded
as good.
There is also much less 'groaning' from the drive system at start-up & when applying a carbon fibre
brush to clean a spinning record.
All goes to show the importance of a good drive system.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:19am
Never thought about this before; must admit I wouldn't have expected a 'polish' would have been a great idea (promotes slippage?) but sounded like it has worked for you. I believe Roxan have more than one belt a 'normal one' and a very expensive one (which I am told sits inside my Source Turntable) any idea which one yours is?  
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:44am
Roksan recommend using Pledge for belt cleaning in the TMS manual, but I was a bit suspicious
of using it - as you say it is a 'polish'. There is no doubt though that it has done the trick.Smile
The belt is the one supplied with the deck - probably the standard one. I wasn't aware there
was another more expensive belt - I'll investigate. Thanks.

'Clean the belt with a non-alcohol, wax based furniture polish (such as Johnson's Pledge). The belt may require replacing after every five years or after five thousand hours of use'

Edited by RichW - 20 Feb 2019 at 11:00am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:02am
Sony say that the shiny sides of the capstan drive belt goes towards the drive pulley (on cassette tape recorders)
A bit of info from the 70's.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Mr Pig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:40pm
I clean belts and drive surfaces with IPA. Over the years I've tried different things but I can't say I've noticed huge differences in the sound. I suspect that what works best will vary depending on the design of the turntable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic