New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
I'm just reflecting on this thread.

Ortofon, AT and Nagoaka all make fine modern MMS these days.  Arguably the technology hasn't moved on in the last couple of decades but I'm sure the build quality has, so the product, whichever flavour you prefer will be more consistent.

Judging by the UK hifi press you'd think ortofon had left the others behind but I think that's marketing dollars speaking.  It's interesting that most on this forum prefer the bronze (ml stylus) to the black (Shibata stylus.). If you like the bigger dynamics and soundstage  of a Shibata stylus, then it seems much more at home in an AT cartridge body than an Ortofon one, even though most seem to think the ml stylus is the sweet spot in the AT range too.

I'm an AT Shibata user and I've never known it misbehave like the Ortofon black can.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:57am
I have similar findings with my AT20 SLa fitted with the SS stylus.
Simply sublime. A great cartridge.

I am not sure modern cartridges are built any better these days. There is likely to be less demand, and increased costs compared to previous periods, when vinyl was big.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:36pm
Increased cost for sure.

I can remember paying £40 for a Gold ring 1042 back in the eighties.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:06pm
£40 for one forty years ago. Allowing for inflation, how close would that be to the current price?
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
Roughly doubled. Double again to current pricing.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 11:12am
Price is now about £300 so that's inflation plus £220.

Difficult to justify that sort of price increase on reduced demand, niche market, shelf space costs etc.

To be fair AT, Ortofon have seen similar price increases.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 3:42pm
James
You say niche, but with the popularity of vinyl at it's highest since the 80s to me it says two things, one people are not playing their vinyl or they are happy with the cart they have. Us lot that care about sound quality they get from their turntable are paying the price. Have you noticed that anything to do with vinyl records is expensive. It may be like me we are happy with are cart and just replace the needle.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic