New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:54pm
Never used the extra counterweight on mine! Always been lucky: I have gone to the extreme end of standard counterweight, but no need for more than that.

The trick is the original Technics shell, which is the lightest of them all (and I have three of them, all bought before they skyrocketed in price).

I am playing "Unlimited love" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers now, with the AT440/540 "Frankenstein": it's incredible how much the surface noise has disappeared. It sounds like a CD, no surface noise at all (and with the old stylus there definitely was some, although not heavy). It just still has to loosen up a bit and develop some of the bass fatness that the old stylus had: but 20-30 hours of playing will do the trick, as they did 9 years ago with the original stylus which was just as slightly lean-sounding as this replacement is.

Edited by Lucabeer - 17 Jan 2023 at 8:05pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

The trick is the original Technics shell, which is the lightest of them all (and I have three of them, all bought before they skyrocketed in price).

Yeah, they are a lot more expensive now. TBH I've never cared for the original headshells though I know a lot of people like them. At current pricing I will just buy a good quality aftermarket model. I tend to like the ones that are flat on top as it's easier for me to set up the cartridges properly with those. I have an AT MG-10 (magnesium alloy) mounted up now. These are discontinued and have been replaced with a new range of AT "LH" series headshells.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 9:47am
An ex-demo turntable and arm (less cart) I bought several years ago would not track an MM3 cartridge and failed nearly all tracks on the HFN test record. 
It then dawned that the demo cartridge installed was an Ortofon Cadenza, which is a couple of mm
or so higher than the MM3. Lowering the arm to compensate cured it.
The angles involved are tiny & manufacturing alignment tolerances are possibly a factor.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

The angles involved are tiny & manufacturing alignment tolerances are possibly a factor.

I tend to both agree and disagree with this!

I agree because yes, at times even a few minor changes in alignment have made quite a noticeable difference for me.

I disagree... because my father (from whom I have inherited some 600 LPs) has never bothered with any of these things, has always used either a ceramic cartridge (horror!) or a humble AT-3600 (conical bonded! Horrror!), has never used a cleaning machine, and music has always sounded fine nonetheless!

;-)

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 8:27pm
That is one of the conical stylus's merits.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

So, my current recommended settings for the 2M Black on the Technics 1200/1210 Mk2 are:

VTF: 1.65 g
Antiskate: 2
VTA: 1.5 with 3-4 mm mat (those with the original 6mm mat will want to dial 3.5/4)

Thank you for this. I am now using these settings, but I have to use the add-on counterweight and the black is the one with combined headshell.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

That is one of the conical stylus's merits.

Yes, no fuss, it just works. No Hi-Fi sound, but... it works.

The only instance where I remember it didn't work so well was The Beatles 1967-70. Even my untrained 15 years old ears could easily notice that "The long and winding road", placed at the end of the LP (on the very internal groove of an already very crammed record with lots of songs per side), sounded like an absolute mess: muddy, congested, distorted, as if played under water. The symphonic arrangement was a unique blob of sound.

I still have that double album, and surprisingly it didn't get damaged by the "obsolete" conical stylus, though. It sounded awful on that setup, but 35 years later when played on a more advanced stylus now it finally plays beautifully.

And yes, on a general note, apart from scuffs and scratches and dirt, most 50-60-70 years old records from my father don't exhibit particular signs of groove damage, even the most played ones. Some do indeed (such as, sigh, the LPs in the Sinatra boxset pressed by Dell in the '80s), but others which have received much more play and should have been in a much worse state of wear... don't. Go figure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic