New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

2M Black / AT440MLa / MP500 setting and comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:42am
Originally posted by TimW TimW wrote:

I went to an Ortofon event at a local dealer (Deco Audio) in Aylesbury a couple of years back. They demoed a lot of their range right from the 2M Red through the Quintet MC range and then finished with the top of the range MC Anna. It was all on the end of a pretty serious system (about £40k) and when they played Take Five via the MC Anna I just sat there staring at the wall, waiting for a curtain to drop to reveal Dave Brubeck himself. It was the most amazing “live” sound I’ve ever heard from a system. 

The Bronze was my favourite of the MMs. I’ve had a Red and Blue myself and so will be in for a Bronze at some point - too many other carts at the moment to justify a new one (various Audio Technicas, Nagoaka, Shure, Stanton).

Sounds like it was a very interesting event Tim with much to hear.
Just wondering - did they also go through the Cadenza MC series after the Quintets & before the Anna?
Did you think there was perhaps a 'sweet spot' in the MC range before going up to the top of the range Anna?
I've always regarded the Cadenza Blue highly & was wondering how it compares with the rest of Ortofon MCs.
Thanks.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:30pm
Hi Rich,

Yes, they worked their way through those pricier MCs as well. We only heard a couple from each of the two MC ranges (Quintet and Cadenza). I remember the Cadenza Black but probably as a chap there mentioned that he’d snapped the boron cantilever on his. £1800 down the drain he said! “If You Wait” by London Grammar sounded amazing via the Black. I bought that album the same day from their record shop. 

Sorry that I can’t really answer your question about the Cadenza Blue. I’ve just checked and it was 2017 so recall is a bit hazy.

I’m an MM man myself and not a rich one, so I was more interested in that range and my take-away from the day was that the Bronze was the sweet spot in that group. Plus that, unless I win the lottery, I’m not going to get that same “Dave Brubeck in my living room” feeling I had that afternoon.

If they (Henley Audio) start doing those Hear The Difference dealer tours again, I can definitely recommend attending one.
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
I have never heard the Bronze.
I did have the Black, which I sold on. It was not my cup of tea. From the descriptions, it sounds like I would have been better buying the Bronze.

I have found that some of the older cartridges can give you a better sound, when matched with a better stylus.

The MMs I have settled on are:
Technics Mk.III EPC-U205 with Jico SAS/B stylus (I also have a neo SAS for this one. Absolutely cracking cartridge, but the original/NOS stylus is bound to be useless).
AT20SLa with an ATN20SS
AT150mlx - bog standard, but sounds great.

I also tried some Shure with Jico SAS styli, like the M44 and M55. I preferred the 205.

I was also lucky to get hold of a low hours Music Maker Classic, which is a superb cartridge, but has the inconvenience of an MC cost wise.

The main thing is to find a cartridge that works well in your system, that you enjoy. Everybody is different in what they are looking for, so enjoy the journey...
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 3:35pm
The Music Master, particularly after a couple of sides warm-up, has been the most 'live' sounding cartridge I've owned. Sadly now irreplaceable.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
I have the Bronze but some times I do wish for a warmer sound, that's the only thing with that cart it is on the bright side but over all I'm happy with it. I did read some where that it (all the 2M range) was designed to give a more CD sound, How true this is I don't know. I have got round to some what toning down (bright side) of this cart with my system and cables this has also benefited the CD sound too

Edited by lfc jon - 29 Sep 2021 at 6:53pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:16pm
I found the 2M Blue the brightest of the Red, Blue and Bronze. But to be fair I haven’t heard the Bronze in my system. Only on the end of some serious valve gear at the dealer demo.

A lot of people say the AT440 is very bright, but I haven’t found that to be the case. That’s the beauty and, some might say, an annoying aspect of Hi-Fi - Rooms, systems and ears are different. 

Sometimes we have to take an (expensive) punt on something. But not with GS. Not many have Graham’s balls!Wink
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:39pm
Tim
As you say take a punt, I don't think there are many dealers that let you demo a cart these days let alone in you system. As you also say it can be expensive if you make the wrong choice, we have not all got money to throw away. That's the good thing about this forum you have good people that will give you good advice or at lest their experience of a cart you are looking at.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic