FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HiFi Shows or not to show that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HiFi Shows or not to show that is the question
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Dave Friday Dave Friday wrote:

We went to Harrogate (sp) in the mid 70's with the kids,we found it fun,the dems were mostly too quiet..never bought anything just collected the leaflets and read them later.

I thought the Quad room was excellent and so was the piano music, which sounded real enough from down the stairs as to get me to investigate further.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:27pm
Barry, yes me too (so to speak) I may have seen you wandering between The Majestic (ironic!), Old Swan and the like.  Whilst also attending some others (Manchester, Heathrow, Last Drop village which spring to mind) I agree it was a bit like going to the NEC for the motor show or Crufts (never been to the latter), you get to window shop but very rarely did rooms sound especially good, as Graham suggests bedrooms normally poor acoustics and fatigue tended to set in with mainly bright sounding Japanese hardware (+ speakers) testing the ear drums though a few rooms were of interest and out came the precautionary cotton wool for a proper listen!!
I did form the view that the all vinyl (+ a few feel to reel at the time)  sets ups did tend to have characteristics so Quad, LP12, Naims, KEF, Audio Research, Krell, Beard, Koetsu etc based systems tended to their own sound signatures, good, bed or otherwise....

Do recall demos from Philips and the like of how the 'perfect CD sound' was far better than vinyl or anything else (not from their demos it wasn't!!!! and rather put off didn't acquire my first CD player until around the millennium) but coincidentally there endeth my show visiting - as whatever year CD was launched sort of coincided with my last show visit. 

I do remember the carrier bags available with leaflets and brochures, no doubt now would have to be paper rather than plastic now though (if brochures are still printed in the on-line age).

Whilst I do not feel any inclination to attend any shows anytime soon I suspect they may be interesting if not always informative.

Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:50pm
We went to Harrogate (sp) in the mid 70's with the kids,we found it fun,the dems were mostly too quiet..never bought anything just collected the leaflets and read them later.
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
SnrDidcot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnrDidcot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Interesting thoughts:

The reason I like to go is ( just like car shows ), I can see and hear all the offerings in one place. When I go to a dealer who doesn't sell say Exposure he will say that people only bought those who couldn't afford Naim and visa-versa. 

To help me, I take along my son who's a musician as he can see right through the hype and often tells me that some £399 speakers are more realistic in their delivery than some costing £2,000 +

Graham, I like your point about tyre-kickers though, annoyingly though I'm someone who takes an age to make a purchase decision so I'm probably guilty of that also. Wink
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:52am
Some years ago when every other exhibitor at Bristol was demonstrating home cinema it seemed that volume was directly proportional to screen size.

The cacophony of noise that over spilled into the corridor was hardly inviting to the visitor to explore further.

A supply of painkillers to dull the inevitable headache was essential! Confused

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:15am
I’d love to visit CES one day, but I’m sure I’d be exhausted and in need of a darkened room within six hours...
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:59am
What's it like to exhibit ?

1. A lot of hard work for very little return.

2. He who makes the loudest noise wins.

3. He who tries to demo incredible sound staging with breathtaking front-back perspective, as well as height (yes really) stands absolutely no chance because everybody else is banging the crap out of toilet shaped loudspeaker contraptions, meaning you can't hear it.

4. And anyway, getting the above results depends on good room ratios (acoustics) which meeting rooms and hotel bedrooms don't have, which demonstrates that the organisers have little or no idea about real hi-fi, and don't actually care. As it says on DSoTM "Why does anybody do anything?" Money of course.

5. Most who visit are the type who kick tyres in car showrooms so why bother?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic